PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get attacks that build slowly?

Freaked
18-05-14, 19:12
They always say that panic attacks reach their peak in 10 minutes, but mine very rarely do. They build for an hour or more with me getting shorter and shorter of breath and my chest getting tighter. I try ignoring it and distracting myself, but nothing seems to work. Eventually it reaches a peak which normally lasts an hour or two where I have to sit on the floor and stay cool and try not to totally freak out about how it feels. Does anyone have these attacks that build slower and last ages.

marlowe78
19-05-14, 02:16
Hours before I have an attack, I can sense that something just isn't 'right.' I might wake up in a foul mood or feel bothered. It will carry on for a few hours or even a day or two before the full attack sets in. But once the attack has run its course, I feel relieved and wonder what the big deal was. It's also frustrating, though, because there's really nothing I can do to avoid it.

bimmer18
19-05-14, 05:13
Yes, I'm literally going through it right now. I know you're supposed to let it just come, but that makes the whole experience last for hours.

Freaked
19-05-14, 19:34
Thanks, makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who gets really long attacks. Ten minutes my ass :-/

marlowe78
20-05-14, 01:09
LOL Yeah I also laugh when I read that.

yearsofpanic
20-05-14, 21:51
i think i felt the same this morning. i could tell i felt off colour.

i was about to walk the streets for a couple of hours to try and tire myself out and sleep it off. but thought i would try and find somewhere to talk about it..

marlowe78
22-05-14, 01:56
I've often wondered if the anxiety can be 'burned' off, because part of is owed to excess adrenaline. But in my experience my body is producing too much energy internally and I would probably have to run across the country to wear it out.

JulieJay92
22-05-14, 11:30
yep not 10 mins more like 10 hours to be honest

after my docs visit yesterday at 1pm in which i had a massive attach but i hate the surgeries, within an hour i felt the nipping pains in my chest, trembling inside etc - didnt actual calm down till at least 11pm

then again woke at 8am - all fine and in the last 10 mins i feel the odd sensation/pain in chest and i know the attack is on its way

so ou are deffo not alone

StrayWookie
22-05-14, 15:06
That is the difference between a Panic Attack and an Anxiety Attack. A PA will hit you pretty suddenly like a bolt of lightning and as long as you can ride it out it will only last 10-15 minutes. An Anxiety Attack however can take a short time or long to build up, and these can be maintained for a much more extended period. I know myself I have had an Anxiety Attack that lasted the better part of 3 days.

marlowe78
23-05-14, 01:21
3 days? :ohmy:

StrayWookie
24-05-14, 12:56
It wasn't fun. And that was using xanax also.

Freaked
24-05-14, 15:10
I think the only time I had a constant attack for more than about 6 hours was when I was in benzo withdrawal actually. That lasted days of sweating and shaking and vomiting; thought I was gonna have a seizure. Considering I have a condition called POTS that causes too much adrenaline and occasionally seizures on its own, I possibly could have. But docs have barely heard of POTS here, so I just had to ride it out and hope for the best.