PDA

View Full Version : Bad news

spuder
19-05-14, 17:30
Been today for my first cbt appointment for my emetophobia to see if I need cbt and was told I don't have emetophobia but I have anxiety so he don't want me to have cbt I feel I do need cbt though what can I do

Mr.Jitters
19-05-14, 17:52
CBT is a very effective treatment for all anxiety disorders, including phobias. I can understand that being told that you don't need it must be pretty upsetting. Don't let it take your hope away though.

If you're phobic about vomiting, you certainly do have emetophobia. But this, I should imagine, like most of my phobias, is simply a manifestation of anxiety. So I don't really understand his statement.

I had issues when I went for CBT too. The first therapist I saw concluded that I have social anxiety, which I certainly don't. I'm in my element around others. We started to do some work on it anyway, and I found that it was actually causing me some social anxiety for the first time in my life.

I saw someone else for CBT, who focused on symptoms and thoughts, without worrying about labels. He explained the process so I could apply the help to other thoughts, and I had no abnormal levels of anxiety at all for over a year. Even now I'm having a setback with anxiety, it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be because I still have some of those skills.

If you get a haircut you don't like, you wouldn't go back to the place that did it. You'd shop around again. I think therapists are the same, if not more important. In the meantime, self help is better than no help. Good luck getting the treatment you want and deserve!

spuder
19-05-14, 18:16
Thanks for replying to me. How do I find a cbt therapist I thought u have to go
To your gp and they put u in touch with one

Mr.Jitters
19-05-14, 18:30
You can find a therapist privately relatively easily, but cost is an issue. There are some organisations like Mind UK that may be able to provide low cost CBT in your area, it pays to look around if it's possible. Otherwise, I would return to your GP and request another therapist.

spuder
19-05-14, 19:41
Thanks for that I will go back to my gp