PDA

View Full Version : Bowel cancer worry

Worriedwellornot
19-05-14, 20:05
You might have seen posts from me yesterday saying I had an ovarian scan and it was clear. I mentioned that I was booked in for a colonoscopy on Saturday. My HA has now really ramped up tonight :weep: I just wondered how many ( if any ) posters on here that were worried about their 'cancer' actually turned out to have the worse case scenario once tested? I know every test I have ever had has been clear but there is still that worry that this time it might be it. I know you can't reassure me but those with this worry please let me know how it turned out...

Fishmanpa
19-05-14, 21:04
I've not seen a case yet here on the boards where someone's worst fears were realized. Mostly it's been IBS, acid reflux and the myriad of anxiety related ailments.

Positive thoughts,

Worriedwellornot
19-05-14, 21:08
I'm hoping I'm one of those people Fish. I will be over the moon. I've been reading up on somatisation disorder tonight. I seem to fit the profile. I know I suffered 10 years ago with extremely real bowel symptoms and colon cancer worry (been reading my old diaries!) but the moment I got the all clear with sigmoidoscopy the pain ceased immediately. It doesn't make sense!

AlexandriaUK
19-05-14, 21:16
I thought that my loss of weight,bloody diarreah, abdominal pain etc was definately bowel cancer, even my Dr thought it could be and told me so,Thank God it wasn't, it was UC caused by food poisoning from dodgy burger, it did prove to me that Drs do tell you what they think it is even if it scares the cr#p out of you.
If my Dr says this is ok I now trust him.
So no mine wasn't what I thought it was and I'm sure yours want be either.
It does make sense when you are given the all clear your symptoms which where caused by anxiety and your mind to because you know there no longer scarey and as there not cancer.

Worriedwellornot
19-05-14, 21:21
Thanks Alexandria. I'm doing the typical thing of asking my hubby for reassurance which of course he can't give, especially as he doesn't understand my HA, it's nice to hear from others that do understand and have been through the same thing !

Fishmanpa
19-05-14, 21:24
I'm hoping I'm one of those people Fish. I will be over the moon. I've been reading up on somatisation disorder tonight. I seem to fit the profile. I know I suffered 10 years ago with extremely real bowel symptoms and colon cancer worry (been reading my old diaries!) but the moment I got the all clear with sigmoidoscopy the pain ceased immediately. It doesn't make sense!

Dr. Google sure comes up with some stuff doesn't he?! ;) I've never heard of this before. It actually make perfect sense that the symptoms stopped upon finding out all was well. How many threads have you read about someone going on holiday and the symptoms disappearing? It's called distraction. Psychologically, when the threat (perceived illness) is gone, the symptoms stop. Unfortunately, as you also see on the boards, many get tested and are Ok for a while until they move onto another illness.

Positive thoughts

Worriedwellornot
19-05-14, 21:30
Yes that's true Fish! When I'm 'distracted' at work I don't notice the pain. It's always worse at night when I have more time to think. My HA has magnified hugely since the internet!