PDA

View Full Version : Experiences of reaching out for help/support

Mr.Jitters
19-05-14, 20:23
Hi guys,

I'm wondering what other people's experiences of reaching out for help/support from healthcare services and the third sector are regarding anxiety.

I ask because I've been having a setback lately, and fear of losing everything was making everything worse.

My GP increased my dose of antidepressants and suggested chamomile tea.
Local counsellors were far too expensive.
I called my local Mind branch for the cleaner to take my name and number and promise me a call back - still waiting over a week and two phonecalls later.
At one point, I went to A&E to ask if I could access mental health services, to be told that they did not deal with anxiety issues, but "serious mental health problems."

Eventually a 40 minute phone call to the Samaritans was the closest thing to appropriate help I got.

This has made me question whether people feel that their disabling and distressing anxiety is largely ignored, while they're left to fend for themselves. Or, whether anybody has had particularly good experiences of seeking support for their condition and sharing this information could help others in a similar situation.

Thanks for reading! :)

Annie0904
19-05-14, 20:33
I have to say that the Mental Health Care in my area is very good and we have options for CBT, Counselling and Intense Psychotherapy on the NHS. The waiting list has not been too bad and even after you have finished the course you can go back at any time without being referred again.

Mr.Jitters
19-05-14, 20:39
Wow, that's fantastic to hear Annie! If only everywhere was so enlightened. The waiting list for CBT through NHS in my area is over 6 months, and GPs (I've seen 3) are completely unwilling to refer because of cost or because of the (lack of) importance they give anxiety disorders.

Any flats for sale near you? :)

Annie0904
19-05-14, 20:42
Lots of property for sale near me :)