PDA

View Full Version : Heart rate obsession

TofuMama
20-05-14, 23:27
My heart rate 3 years ago at rest was 54. It was really decent. Very much so.

About a year and a half ago I started taking my pulse semi regularly, until one car ride where it was 95 resting. I was afraid, I had so many panic attacks. I couldn't breathe.

Now I check my heart rate between 400-500 times a day.

It only rests around 90 now, walking it's at 120, sitting it's often up to 130 if I'm afraid. I can't exercise. Exercise makes it go so fast I can't move.

I don't know what to do.

On one hand I want to stop feeling it because I worry it'll make it faster. I've had ECG and that says I'm fine. Blood tests say I'm fine. On the other hand, I often suffer crippling attacks of breathlessness, nausea and can barely stand, and I want to feel my heart rate, where it going fast, then as I sit down, it suddenly slows down very quickly, then rises back up to its' previous speed.

Even as I sit here, I feel terrible, ill, and anxious.

What can I do? I feel it because I'm afraid. But I'm afraid nevertheless.

Alonso100
21-05-14, 01:35
I know exactly what you're going through i used to train 4-5 times a week but since a acare that left me in hospital with a suspected heart attack...i now look back and know it was a panic attack and have had 24 hoir tapes etc and heard nothing negative as yet i understand your situation. 3 months on and i haven't went near the gym and still feel my pulse/ heart every so often i am determined to move on and forget about it.

Best thing i can think of if you feel a palpitation is to cough/burp or hold your nose and try to breathe through it. It helps me and i also seem to drink a lot of water for some reason. Try to focus on something else to try and divert your attention. Not the best advice you'll get on here but hopefully it is of some use to you.