PDA

View Full Version : Hello I'm new!

poohbear
09-12-06, 21:09
Hello I have just joined today.
The reason I have joined is because my partner of 18 months suffers from GAD and has for many years (he is now 38). Sometimes i struggle to understand what he is going through because he never tells me off his own back, only after the event or if i ask.
I look foward to reading everyone's posts and maybe helping him a bit.

PoohBear

honeybee3939
09-12-06, 21:27
Hi PoohBear,

A BIG warm welcome to you and your partener, lovely to see you here:D.

Its lovely to know your partner as someone so special and supportive as you

I hope we can be of some help.

First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Love

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

trac67
09-12-06, 22:05
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

clickaway
09-12-06, 22:28
Hi PoohBear,

I really do understand your reason for being here.

I have great difficulty is explaining my suffering of GAD to people who don't suffer as it is very difficult to explain, even though I can usually open up to people.

I'll give you a brief outline of how my days go, but others with GAD may tell a different story.

I wake up very heavy eyed, full of fear with a lot of muscle trembling/shaking. I feel totally drained and even though my mouth is very dry, I dont have the strength or inclination to reach over to grab the glass by my bed.

I have had a poor and short sleep as my mind is far from relaxed - my fears are not about anything specific. I know if I continue to lie there, my mind will whirr away yet I feel I need to rest too. Eventually, I make the move to get up and sluggishly do things to get me awake.

Because my body clock is all out with the poor sleep, I am not getting up until lunchtime. I like to get out of the house before the sun goes down as I know this is good for me, especially if I can go for a walk for example.

Just going out locally can throw me into a panic sometimes - it is common for GAD people to get like this and they are safer in or near their house.

I have a problem with housework and gardening - but I don't think this is quite so typical.

Come late afternoon and evening I feel more relaxed, but I'm still tense. That awful feeling upon waking fades throughout the day.

I have a need for company (separation anxiety) and I usually get my conversational needs in the evening (in cyberspace). This would explain why I sometimes get jittery when I go to bed as I am alone once more (I live solo). This leads to me being on 'alert' in bed preventing me from getting to sleep for several hours sometimes.

I get very stressed mentally and this leaves little energy to do fairly straightforward physical tasks. I can manage the most housework around midnight!

We all have our own stories, and many of them are born out of childhood events. In fact, our present reactions can relate to fears we had as a child.

I hope your partner reads some posts here, and maybe will join up and post himself.

Tell him he is not alone and there is nothing to be frightened about

Take care,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

yorkylover
09-12-06, 23:40
Hi Poohbear,and welcome.It is very hard for families to understand these illnesses,hopefully you and your partner will get lots of help and support here.;)You must be a very careing partner to come here and want to find out more.:)

Ellen XX

manmoor
10-12-06, 01:10
Hi Poohbear and partner,

A big warm welcome to you both.

Take Care

Mandyxx

LickeyEndBlues
10-12-06, 23:50
Hi Poohbear,

It's good to see a partner in here as sometimes it is difficult as a sufferer to best describe what is happening. I have found this site really useful as it has meant I'm better able to explain to my good lady how I feel day to day. I have aslo found out a great deal about myself also!!

I wonder if a specific "Partners" type forum could be considered so that there is a common place for sharing and caring.

Take care

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

poohbear
17-12-06, 19:32
Thanks for all your kind words of welcome.
My partner has been receiving treatment from his GP for about 4 years ( we have been together just under 2yrs) and 2 years ago was given Cipralex which suits him quite well. He felt well enough to come off them from April this year under the guidance of his GP and did really well all summer, but by September he was feeling very anxious about things again and had to go back on the 10ml again. He has gone so as he can only drive himself to work and back, nowhere else. In fact he doesn't like journeys anywhere really. He works nights which doesn't help his sleep patterns at all. I do worry that he uses alcohol as a relaxant, he used to be able to face anything once he'd had a pint but even that doesn't work now.
At the moment he has been reading a book prescribed by the DR, and he bought a CD which he listens to in the car and at work sometimes. I have just today brought him some rescue remedy to put in his water bottle that he takes to work as I read on here alot of you do that.
Reading this forum, I realise he's not that badly off compared to alot of people on here. But when it affects me and our life it feels so much worse doesn't it?
Thanks for reading!

PoohBear

nomorepanic
18-12-06, 16:53
Hi Pooh

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here. Hope we can be of some help to both of you.

You will meet some lovely kind people on here.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel