PDA

View Full Version : Thunderstorm phobia

sedalia
22-05-14, 14:46
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone else has this and if so how do you cope? Its not the noise of the thunder, I am terrified of the lightning. Stupid thing is I never had this as a child. It seemed to come on in my teens, and I don't even know why. I never had a bad experience as far as I recall.

spuder
22-05-14, 14:49
Go and see your gp hun they will refere u to cbt.

meche
22-05-14, 14:55
Lots of people are afraid of thunder & lightening - even non anxious people. I'm not afraid of it but I don't like it because the loud bangs plays havoc with the pressure in my ears (I have Labythrynitis). If I was you, next time there is a storm, put some headphones on with some of your fave music and sit back with your eyes closed. xx

Catherine S
22-05-14, 15:02
Not sure the doc would refer you for cbt because of being scared of storms! But this is a common fear and I think thunderstorms make people feel vunerable, they can also feel quite oppressive. Lightening has the power to make most people nervous :scared15:

ISB x

shannabanna
22-05-14, 15:03
I hate it I used to take off all my jewellery in case it attracted lightening. I was a mess as a teenager with a fixed brace when it was stormy.

Ryan92
22-05-14, 15:06
Hi sedalia, the unexpected bang and flash of the lightning is what stresses me. Feels like my heart stops beating for a couple of seconds :shrug:, I suffer quite badly with my nerves. I just try not to look through the window and try and keep my mind focused on something else, easier said than done :doh: but it can be done :)

swgrl09
22-05-14, 16:06
I'm the opposite. I had this really badly as a child, but got past it and actually enjoy them now. I remember being so afraid I would hide, cry, etc. If there was a storm at school, I would cry and want to go home.

I remember my mom helping me through it though. She would do things like make a nice lunch and have me go out and sit with her on our enclosed porch during a storm. That way I would get used to it. Once we did that enough times, I wasn't afraid anymore.

I mean it's normal to be nervous to an extent and to take normal precautions during lightning and what not, so I'm not saying go out with a golf club and try to stay calm :)

Tessar
18-07-14, 23:17
Sedalia. I am the opposite. I was scared of it as a child but my parents didnt take my Fear seriously. I have tried very hard not to be scared. My fear tends to fluctuate. If I am on my own and it's night time I will always go to bed. One time I had all our doors and windows open then there was a rumble. so I had a and dash to shut everything. Then I went to my bed. In the day time, well I suppose t depends in where I am .
One thing, I will talk about my fear. My colleagues know I am scared of it. One of them sometimes makes silly remarks but I tell her I don't care. I feel better for them knowing I am scared. We had a massive clap of thunder at the office the other day and everyone jumped, not just me! It took me a good 15 mins before I felt relaxed. Colleagues who hadn't said they are scared looked a bit stunned so it made me feel better.
At least you know you are in good company here. Nothing wrong with having fears, they are natural. If I am in my own I always feel worse so I totally understand you feeling worried, best thing is to try and go about life as normally as you can. Easy for me to say I know but sometimes they forecast storms and they never happen.
Well I must be off to bed. Lost a few hours sleep to the thunder last night and need my sleep. Actually last night I wasn't as good with it as sometimes I am but I think that's coz it came in the night. Hoping you're ok and sending hugs. Off to my safe haven, bed :-)