PDA

View Full Version : coming off citalopram

sal_21
09-12-06, 23:13
Hi guys, over the summer I came off citalopram because I didn't think it was helping much, but have recently started feeling so panicky but different to how i panicked before when I was on it, more sort of out of this world panic, i guess paranoia. I went to the doctors about coming off it- I was on 50mg a day for over a year and he gave me a timetable but i just stopped taking it, instead of doing it gradually, i got a lot of colds and the weird loose brain thing but i thought that was over now, but even a few months after stopping do you think it might be causing the panic? Sorry bit longwinded, thanks for your help in advance :)

honeybee3939
09-12-06, 23:33
Hi Sal

I have been taking Citalopram on and off for 8 years now, and have learnt in the past i have come off them too quickly, 6 months on i have always ended up back on them again.
I have been cutting them down over the last few months this time, 40mg for a couple months, then 30mg for a couple of months and so on, im taking 10mg and hoping to come off them after xmas.

I would visit your GP if the panic is getting worse, and if you have to go back on them and reduce slowly, dont be a shamed, i have made that mistake too so you are not alone hun. just do it slowly and you will get there !

Hugs

Andrea
xxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

yorkylover
10-12-06, 01:10
Hi Sal,Im on citalopram.I came off before the summer,for 3months and Im back on again.Like Andrea said,you need to come off very slowly.;)

Ellen XX

Nel
10-12-06, 13:37
SSRI discontinuation syndrome is fairly common. Sadly these are things doctors don't discuss with patients.
In some countries (not ours) SSRI's are not allowed to be classed as non-habit-forming, there is a strict medical definition for something to be classed as addictive, but many class SSRI's as dependency-inducing.

woofybaby
17-12-06, 12:31
I was on citalopram for a year and came off it in October. I did it over a period of 2 months which I thought was slowly, but am nw definitely slipping again and can invisage going back on them shortly. i came off them because I want a baby and thoght that that would be enough to pull me through - but that doesn't help when I'm home alone and my heart is racing and I can't stop crying! PLEASE COME OFF THEM REALLY SLOWLY.