PDA

View Full Version : tetanus?

misslove
22-05-14, 15:40
So i picked up a pipe in the yard yesterday. I of course did what i always do and start freaking out. it was about 4 yesterday when it happened and i have an appt for the shot today at 3. it's only been 15 hrs or so and i'm already making my self nuts. I keep feeling like my neck is stiff even tho i have seen many time on the internet the symptoms take days. Im very good at scaring myself. Could these really by symptoms or is it all in my head? I cleaned the cut in a matter of minutes. Help!

AnnieMags
24-05-14, 17:19
I had massive tetanus anxiety when I was younger and had enough vaccines and boosters to last me several lifetimes - in hindsight and with greater understanding I know most of them were completely unnecessary! Tetanus is very hard to catch and is only a danger in deep puncture wounds - rusty nails, very long thorns etc. - that are impossible to clean. Any cut/scrape/abrasion that you can get soap and water and a disinfectant to will pose no danger whatsoever. Besides, if you have ever had the complete vaccine (3 doses) you are almost certainly immune even without the boosters. The incubation period for tetanus varies, but is usually about 8 days, so your symptoms after only hours would be likely to be your anxiety playing up. I would say you have NOTHING to worry about. :) Best wishes from Annie