PDA

View Full Version : just started this today x question...

cookieb
23-05-14, 23:39
Hey....my doc put me on mirtazapine a couple of weeks ago...then Monday my psychiatrist said to up it but in 6 months to go on fluoxatine(really don't know why) so thought I'd go straight on to fluoxatine(my choice) my gp said it's not as good for anxiety....what are others views xxx

Electric_Worry
23-05-14, 23:53
I've heard a number of opinions on Fluoxetine/Prozac, some of which claim that it worked wonders for anxiety after a while, and others said it simply didn't touch it. I'm on day 35, as I mentioned in the other thread which you replied to, and at the moment I'm having a mixed experience. I have good days and bad days, with good moments during the bad days and bad moments during the good days. It's all over the place. The problem with this type of medication is that it makes you feel worse before it starts to work, so it's a case of putting up with it for a number of weeks. On the other hand, there's a chance it won't work at all. Personally I am going to give it a few more weeks, perhaps up to ten before I decide whether or not I want to try a different medication.

If you're just starting Fluoxetine/Prozac then I have to warn you that some of the side effects can be awful to begin with, but they do subside after a while. There's a chance it will take weeks before you level out and start to feel normal again. Even after five weeks I am not there yet, but I want to give it time and see if it works.

cookieb
24-05-14, 00:04
Thanks for reply hun....apart from the couple of weeks on mirtazapine it's my first time on antidepressants....I've been waiting 5 years to feel 'normal' a few more weeks can't hurt xxx

Electric_Worry
24-05-14, 00:17
It's important to not get discouraged with the medication and consider throwing in the towel early. The side-effects can put a lot of people off as from the beginning they're pretty unpleasant for some. Although I am a number of weeks into it and I still don't believe I am anywhere near there yet, I have to say that compared to the first couple of weeks there has been a little improvement. It could be that they don't work for me, meaning I have to try another medication, but I am keeping faith in them and seeing what happens.

cookieb
24-05-14, 00:23
Good luck hun....I hope you find one that works xx

anthrokid
24-05-14, 00:26
Fluoxetine is an SSRI, and as such it works slowly - usually takes a minimum of 6-8 weeks before any noticable improvements in symptoms. I would say that this is the reason your psychiatrist has suggested moving to fluoxetine in 6 months. If your anxiety is particularly high now, it won't make a good difference for quite a while. They may want you to try it after mirtazapine has 'taken the edge off'.

It also depends on the specific symptoms you have from your anxiety. Certain subtypes are better treated by certain medication, and if your anxiety is trademarked by certain symptoms, fluoxetine may be a better choice than others.

Remember, whilst your GP is a well trained medical professional, your GP isn't necessarily an expert in terms of medicine for treating mental health disorders - whilst they have an idea of treatments and medications, your psychiatrist is trained specifically to understand every detail and every tiny as[ect of mental health. When choosing a treatment for anxiety, I would advise that you lean toward the suggestions your psychiatrist makes rather than your GP.

HalfJack
24-05-14, 00:30
I found fluox did wonders for my anxiety and was put onto it for my anxiety by a very well respected private Dr. It worked after about 3/4 weeks which is what they expect and I was on it for about 9 months with complete success. I didn't have any side effects at all but I've had side effects on other medication.

It changes from person to person, my Dr recently told me to ignore advice about what antidepressants are best because there is no best.

cookieb
24-05-14, 00:40
Fluoxetine is an SSRI, and as such it works slowly - usually takes a minimum of 6-8 weeks before any noticable improvements in symptoms. I would say that this is the reason your psychiatrist has suggested moving to fluoxetine in 6 months. If your anxiety is particularly high now, it won't make a good difference for quite a while. They may want you to try it after mirtazapine has 'taken the edge off'.

It also depends on the specific symptoms you have from your anxiety. Certain subtypes are better treated by certain medication, and if your anxiety is trademarked by certain symptoms, fluoxetine may be a better choice than others.

Remember, whilst your GP is a well trained medical professional, your GP isn't necessarily an expert in terms of medicine for treating mental health disorders - whilst they have an idea of treatments and medications, your psychiatrist is trained specifically to understand every detail and every tiny as[ect of mental health. When choosing a treatment for anxiety, I would advise that you lean toward the suggestions your psychiatrist makes rather than your GP.

Thanks for reply hun....I feel like I dont ever want to go bk to phsyc doc/gp ever again...got so upset today...they are patronising and blame every thing on anxiety and depression xx

---------- Post added at 00:40 ---------- Previous post was at 00:39 ----------

I found fluox did wonders for my anxiety and was put onto it for my anxiety by a very well respected private Dr. It worked after about 3/4 weeks which is what they expect and I was on it for about 9 months with complete success. I didn't have any side effects at all but I've had side effects on other medication.

It changes from person to person, my Dr recently told me to ignore advice about what antidepressants are best because there is no best.

Aw hunny that's fantastic....really glad to hear xxx

anthrokid
31-05-14, 06:08
You're welcome. It can be quite a long and draining process trying to find the right treatment and navigating all of the different advice different professionals give. It's not surprising you got upset, it's hard! Hang on in there and keep fighting. You'll get through this.