PDA

View Full Version : 4 AM and I am up wondering about Lyme Disease

swgrl09
24-05-14, 09:51
My husband and I went hiking this week in the woods ... It was on Monday. Of course after I made us check for ticks, but he didn't do a good job checking my hair. I tried to show him how and he didn't take me seriously, just said "You don't have any ticks." and walked away. ugh.

So moving on to today, I feel like I am getting sick... you know, run down, hot flashes on and off, dizzy, glands a little swollen. I keep thinking ... I was home all week because my job starts next week and school is over ... I wasn't around anybody sick, so where could I pick it up? Then I thought about the hike. I don't see a rash, but the first time my dad had Lyme he didn't see a rash either.

Also have been having some pain in my knee joints. I originally attributed it to doing a lot of squats at the gym and what not, but of course now that Lyme is in my head I am thinking it is a symptom. I've been doing squats all year and just started getting knee pain this week.

I know my head says, just wait and see if it goes away like a cold or sticks around and then go to the doctor. But part of me is afraid I will wake up paralyzed or something, which happened to another person I know.

I know the reassurance-seeking posts can be annoying, so I apologize to anybody who this bothers. I just don't want to google and am trying to think logically.

Freaked
24-05-14, 15:21
It's entirely possible to pick up colds and flus while not leaving the house. Your husband could have brought one home but not caught it himself.

Fishmanpa
24-05-14, 16:29
The deer tick, which is the most common carrier of lyme is difficult to see at best and will most often bite you in a place that hard to see, (like the back of the neck, behind the knee, inside of thigh etc.) If it is a tick that is carrying the disease, the bite will react. The most typical reaction is a bullseye rash around the bite. Symptoms typically start showing a few weeks later.

If you checked, then you checked. I've been bitten dozens of times as I enjoy hiking. Never had a reaction nor picked up the bug. Relax ;)

Positive thoughts

swgrl09
24-05-14, 17:15
Thanks, I keep trying to tell myself that. No rash so far. I guess if it is Lyme, it will get worse and I will know!