PDA

View Full Version : How do you put Weight on?

Carnation
24-05-14, 12:25
If anyone has any tips for putting weight on, as I have little weight to begin with, but since the Anxiety, everyone keeps telling me I have lost weight and I have, but can't put it on. I'm eating three meals a day and snacking in between. Trouble is the Doctor said I had high cholestral and being paranoid already, cut out cakes, biscuits and chocolate, fatty meats and sugar as requested by the Doctor. And you guys r probably going to tell me to eat those things to gain weight. Is there anything else I can eat to gain back the weight? I also lost my Father 3 weeks ago, so it could be a bit emotional as well?? It just freaks me when people say, God, you've lost a lot of weight! Doctors don't seem to bother unless you are a complete walking skeleton. As a former Anorexic, it does bother me. And I have had stress before and it has never effected me like this??? Sorry to ramble, but it bothers me and Doctors are crap at looking after people with Anxiety!

StrayWookie
24-05-14, 12:40
Maybe try protein bars or some kind of supplement that body builders use? I have the opposite problem, even though I eat healthy I just can't shift the weight!

Magic
24-05-14, 15:11
Hi, so sorry to hear about your father carnation.
I hope you get your diet sorted . Something with sugar or vegetable fat should not send your cholesterol too high. I think it is impossible to eat the correct food all the time. What about plenty of veg?
Wish I had advice to give you, hope someone else may have a solution xx

Alice1
24-05-14, 16:13
I had the same problem! It got so bad my period stopped for 5 months and it was very frustrating as nothing seemed to work for a while.
Patience is definietly key, but it should only take a few weeks to start seeing results and you'll feel a lot better for it.
It was difficult for me at the start because I wasn;t used to eating so much, but a combination of things like peanut butter and nuts, oats, rice, cous-cous, lots of fruits and veg, beans, healthy breads (rye bread is good and full of calories!), dark chocolate and I also drank protein shakes once a day for 2 weeks. At the start force yourself to eat a bit more (and a bit at night too), and it should become normal.
After you've gone back to a healthy weight start to listen to your body more. You should find you're body is able to regulate your weight and you won't gain too much past your healthiest weight if you eat the right foods.
Don't eat too much junk food if you can help it, it'll only make you feel worse! That's a good thing you did by cutting that out, just replace it with better things.
All the best!

Fishmanpa
24-05-14, 16:44
Sorry about your Dad. The stress of losing a loved one can definitely affect you and having anxiety means your body is probably using more calories dealing with stress anyway.

I know ALL about losing weight as I went through cancer treatment and wasted away over 65 pounds in a few months. I definitely "looked" like a cancer patient when I was done treatment ;) Not being able to eat was big part of it but also my body was using a ton of energy in fighting and trying to heal.

To put weight on, as suggested, look into a weight gainer supplement that body builders use. They'll typically have names like "Mass Builder" or the like. The thing about these powders is that they contain protein and good carbs as well as a lot of vitamins, minerals and most importantly calories. One shake (which is a lot to be honest), can contain over 500 calories. You can mix them with fruit to add more calories and flavor (I always use vanilla so I can flavor them)

Now that I've reached a comfortable weight, I do a fruit smoothie every morning for breakfast. Fruit, low fat milk and a normal whey protein supplement.

One last thing... if you're sedentary, you'll gain weight but not in a good way. You want to put on muscle weight so exercising is important, even walking!

Positive thoughts

Carnation
24-05-14, 20:03
Thanks for that, everyone, some really good tips. This is a great Site, but it saddens me when I hear your sad stories, makes me want to blub again.:weep: So much illness and trauma from what I feel really nice people.:)
We must all stay strong and Beat this with a very large Bat!!!!

Carnation
25-05-14, 17:46
Thanks for the Tips, but I was wondering what Nuts to buy as I know salted peanuts or not that good for you.:huh:

marlowe78
25-05-14, 20:12
I was 10 pounds underweight when I was examined by my GP in March. He saw immediately that I was too thin and seemed more concerned about it than anything else.

I've put 5 pounds on the last month by forcing myself to eat a little bit more each day. When undereating, your stomach can be tricked into accepting smaller amounts of food, which makes you feel full sooner during meals.

My cholesterol is borderline high but my GP said that I should get my weight up first and then try to moderate the cholesterol afterwards. Your situation might be different but having elevated cholesterol for a short period of time isn't always serious.