PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine

Cassie
10-12-06, 17:57
Hi

Just wondering if anyone could tell me any positive stories about venlafaxine. I know about the bad withdrawal etc. I've tried Cipralex and Mirtazapine since Seroxat stopped working for me and neither have helped.

Am at the end of my tether.

Cassie

Nel
10-12-06, 18:02
You could try here, but bear in mind meds affect everyone differently.

http://www.askapatient.com./

tam
10-12-06, 19:17
hi cassie well here i go i have been taking venlafaxine for about 7 weeks after stopping citalopram.for the last 4 weeks i have never felt so good in 3yrs i havnt really panicked been shopping more than ever,no dizziness ,nothing like i had.im convinced that the tablets are the thing that has changed.its still early days i know and ive had moments but feel wonderful at the moment apart from being full of a cold.hope this helps and i would say try them from my experience,up to now.hope this helps.tc tracy

jo61
10-12-06, 19:26
Cassie, I'm trying to come off Venlafaxine at the moment and it's a nightmare. You need to keep this in mind if you're going to go on it.

Jo x

Nel
11-12-06, 14:04
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Cassie, I'm trying to come off Venlafaxine at the moment and it's a nightmare. You need to keep this in mind if you're going to go on it.

Jo x

<div align="right">Originally posted by joanna61 - 10 December 2006 : 19:26:51</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Did it help you in any way?

Nel xxx

jo61
11-12-06, 14:41
No Nel, that's the annoying thing - it did nothing for me which is why I'm coming off it. None of the benefits and all the problems - not fair is it ?!

Jo

ConfusedByLife
11-12-06, 16:10
Medication effects different ppl in many different ways. My own experience of venlafaxine for social anxiety(efexor 75mg) is a mixed one. In the early days they were a god send, helping me enormously at a very difficult time. Unfortunately at the time I didnt realise that this was covering up problems and i wasnt actually dealing with the root of the issue. Eventually i felt so good i came off them. 3 months later i was back where i started, anxious and in need of help again. So started a 6 year cycle of going back on effexor (less effect than the 1st time) trying a number of other drugs (with disasterous results) and now back on efexor for a 3rd time with basically no positive benefits. In my view venlafaxine was a great drug for me, but these are a short term answer to a much deeper problem which requires some kind of talking therapy to work through ur problems and an anxiety management srategy. Long term use is counter productive. Hope this is of help.

jo61
11-12-06, 16:39
That's the thing about there being so many antidepressants out there. Each of us is different. Effexor works very well for lots of people - my brother has been on it for years! But for me it did nothing and I now have to deal with the discontinuation of it. I'm on other medication and should have no problems coming off it, I think it's just the Christmas period coming up that has made it more difficult. I have reduced my dose but doctor suggests I wait until after Christmas to continue reducing.

Good luck!

Jo

Cassie
25-12-06, 00:07
Well everyone

I'm weaning off the cipralex over the next 2 weeks and then starting venlafaxine. I'm praying to god that this will help so wish me luck. This time around i'm going all out for therapy so i can hopefully come off the meds someday though my psych has warned i may be on them for life - eek. Oh well as long as i'm functioning

Merry Christmas everyone

Cassie xxx

fightingonstill
07-01-07, 21:49
Hi
I was on Venflaxine for my panic attacks and social anxiety so became agrophobic and they were ace at stopping the anxiety. I didnt have a single attack and instantly felt so calm like i was really high!
Anyway the good times didnt last long as the side effects kicked in, i would just fall asleep every day (not good when you have atoddler as well as older kiddies and a degree to study for!) I had bad mood swings and extreme tempers and complete loss of libido with total dryness, without being too descriptive lol
It nearly caused my marriage break up but i fell pregnant unexectedly so had to stop them and the discontinuation was a complete nightmare, i felt like an addict on withdrawal, i cant even explain, but it was bad enough for me to vow never to use any meds again and never to trust a doctor again after he swore to me that the pills werent going to be a problem hmmm
Sorry for waffling but thought i should share my experiance although i know evryone is different and i dont want to scare you but i did research alot about it on the net when coming off them and my withdrawals were typical of what i read.
That was 2 years ago and i have now just resorted to using Propronal but will never hopefully use anti dep again, but i am so scared that the betablockers will also create dependancy but its all so confusing as to what to do isnt it?
Hope you find something that works
Nikki x