PDA

View Full Version : Phantosmia

HAnoway
24-05-14, 18:38
Anybody else smell things that aren't there?

Only ever had 3 episodes and they were very brief. All led to some sort of panic.

Smelt burnt toast, garlic and sour cream and onion pringles.

Can it be a sign of anxiety?

RoseEve
24-05-14, 18:48
Yes I smell things sometimes. Nothing pleasant either.

HAnoway
24-05-14, 18:48
And is it linked to your anxiety?

Katie_cupcakes
24-05-14, 18:54
I had an episode a few weeks ago of smelling things that wernt there and they brought back good memories. E.g - I was smelling midge repellent which reminded me of summers as a teenager with my friends, and then one day I could smell the smell of my very first boyfriend (a smell I havnt come across in ten years)

Neither of those smells were actually there...I don't know where they came from

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

No idea if it's connected to anxiety...not that iv heard of

HAnoway
24-05-14, 18:59
I went to a party at lunchtime yesterday and saw the sour cream and onion pringles so my subconscious may have just been remembering them.

Katie_cupcakes
24-05-14, 19:07
Maybe. I was just reading that smelling things which arnt there is like a hallucination. Like hearing voices..and can have many causes...one being linked to mood disorders.
So possibly could be anxiety related. Although if its only happened once or twice, it's probably nothing

RoseEve
24-05-14, 20:20
I don't know if it's anxiety. Sometimes I think our memories link the smells. I know this is weird but sometimes when I watch a computer animated movie where the characters look like plastic I smell plastic the whole time.

Fishmanpa
24-05-14, 21:02
This isn't related but the "phantom smell" brought back a memory....

Two years ago before I was diagnosed.... actually about the time I noticed the lump in my neck in August of 2012, I began noticing a perfume smell in our living room. I couldn't tell you the brand but it was something you'd typically smell on a grand mom. It was only in a certain area and was happening somewhat frequently. I didn't mention it to my fiance' as quite frankly, it was pretty weird. I went away on business in September and when I returned my fiance' brought it up as she smelled it too! We were like "Whoa!"... this is bizarre to say the least.

I was diagnosed in November of 2012 and we never smelled it again.... Cue the spooky music ;)

Positive thoughts

haouri30
24-05-14, 21:24
I agree with my brother Katie_cupcakes

Maybe. I was just reading that the smell of things that arnt there like a hallucination. Such as hearing voices .. and can have many reasons ... one is linked to mood disorders.
So maybe it can be anxiety-related. But if it happened only once or twice

binashubby
26-05-14, 13:46
Yes - very often I smell things, hear voices etc.