PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound weird?

Freeky
24-05-14, 18:54
Hey all,

For some reason I have an interest of isolated places, like in the countryside where the nearest town is nearly an hour away and the next door neighbour is a ten minute walk away. I keep on thinking that once I've moved out and made enough money to buy a place of my own, I might move into a house on the outskirts of a remote forest, or by a mountain with a little stream nearby and no one in sight for miles around.

The strangest thing about this is that my family and I already live in the middle of nowhere. We're not completely isolated but we already have the nearby forest and although it's not a mountain we do live on a hill! So why am I wanting to move somewhere even more remote than where I do now?! I really do have a weird mind!

Fishmanpa
24-05-14, 21:23
Not weird at all! When I started looking for homes in Virginia in '05, I looked at some that were literally miles from civilization. Some were a good 25 minute drive to the nearest store! I loved it but it was impractical. Now, with my health issues, it's downright dangerous.

However, where we live (the Shenandoah Valley), there are places within ten minutes of town that have 1/2 mile driveway and the nearest neighbor is 2 acres away ;) The Blue Ridge Mountains are all around and there are many homes that are tucked away on a mountainside with only a dirt/gravel road to get to it. While we currently rent a townhouse in town that is convenient to everything. We often speak and of hitting the lottery and buying an A frame or log home off the beaten track a bit.

I say, if that's your desire and dream, go for it!

Positive thoughts

Freeky
24-05-14, 22:56
Hey Fishmanpa!

I looked up some pictures of Shenandoah valley and I'll admit I wasn't expecting to see something similar to the Lord of the Rings scenery! I've only ever been to America twice; Texas when I was a baby and Florida when my family went to Disneyland when I was 5. So I remember very little of it and we probably saw very little of it too! I'd definitely go for it if you're sure you want to move, even if it's just on the outskirts of town!

If I can't afford it I could just stay in France, I used to have a filthy rich friend in the uk who had a holiday home in the Pyrenees and we visited her during half term not long after we moved to France. Her house was right by a steep forest and we used to ride our bikes and play there for hours (we were about 10 then). Before we moved my aunt used to live in Wales and we often went for walks in the nearby forest as well. There are many places that have been a big influence so I have no idea where to choose!

aprilmoon
24-05-14, 23:01
Hi
I live about 45mins drive from wales,and some of the scenery there is stunning.
I could live there.

Freeky
24-05-14, 23:09
Yeah it is! I'm not exactly sure but I think my aunt used to live in Pembrokeshire, she moved back to Kent not long after my cousin was expecting her first baby so no more holidays to Wales now :/

Rennie1989
25-05-14, 13:17
It's not weird at all. Personally I love the City because I love being a part of a large crowd with a lot going on, whereas my parents love the idea of being very remote. In the UK it is very hard to find somewhere remote (not impossible) but larger countries, and countries will a smaller population, can have homes so remote that, as you said, the nearest town in an hour away.

I can get the impression that it would be very tranquil to be isolated.

Freeky
25-05-14, 15:53
It's not weird at all. Personally I love the City because I love being a part of a large crowd with a lot going on, whereas my parents love the idea of being very remote. In the UK it is very hard to find somewhere remote (not impossible) but larger countries, and countries will a smaller population, can have homes so remote that, as you said, the nearest town in an hour away.

I can get the impression that it would be very tranquil to be isolated.

It's not that I hate the City, in fact I'm currently studying in one! Like you said it is nice to see lots going on and Fishmanpa said it's convenient to be in a town. For some reason I just prefer the country, which is considered weird for someone my age because most of my middle school classmates left the countryside the first chance they could! Of course it was to look for a job or a university (that's why I had to go), but they all talk about staying in the city or moving to Paris once they finish their studies, and they never talk about going back to the countryside where they grew up.

Rennie1989
25-05-14, 16:36
It's funny because my husband grew up in London and wants to move to the country whilst I grew up by the seaside in a poverty stricken town that London appealed to me. I lived there for 3 years with him and loved every-single-day of it. Now we live in a developing town that does not have the poverty of my old town but not quite the hustle and bustle of London that, I suppose, it's the best of both worlds for us. We do want to live in a village when we can afford it for the sake of raising a family which we did not want to do in London or in the town I grew up in.

Freeky
25-05-14, 21:53
It's funny because my husband grew up in London and wants to move to the country whilst I grew up by the seaside in a poverty stricken town that London appealed to me. I lived there for 3 years with him and loved every-single-day of it. Now we live in a developing town that does not have the poverty of my old town but not quite the hustle and bustle of London that, I suppose, it's the best of both worlds for us. We do want to live in a village when we can afford it for the sake of raising a family which we did not want to do in London or in the town I grew up in.

You and your husband sound similar to my parents when they were younger! Though they both grew up in the same town, my mum wanted to move to the country and my dad wanted to move to a city.
I'd definitely look into it, it took my parents nearly 10 years to buy their first house in the countryside but they succeeded and raised me there for three years. We only moved back to the suburbs to be closer to my mum's family and the airport for dad's job at the time!

Fishmanpa
25-05-14, 22:32
I looked up some pictures of Shenandoah valley and I'll admit I wasn't expecting to see something similar to the Lord of the Rings scenery!

Here's a pic from last Friday on the way to a gig. This is from the Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park.... I call shots like this "God's Fingers" in the way it looks like the heavens are reaching down out of the clouds :)

Positive thoughts

Freeky
25-05-14, 22:42
Wow that's amazing! Love the way the sun peeks from underneath the clouds, the sun rays really do look like they're trying to touch the hills!:D

I've been looking for some sunset pictures to paint actually, do you mind if I borrow it for a while?:blush:

Fishmanpa
26-05-14, 17:33
Wow that's amazing! Love the way the sun peeks from underneath the clouds, the sun rays really do look like they're trying to touch the hills!:D

I've been looking for some sunset pictures to paint actually, do you mind if I borrow it for a while?:blush:

Please do! :)

Positive thoughts

Oosh
26-05-14, 21:20
Speaking of sunsets. I've just taken this out of my window. Aire Valley, West Yorkshire

http://s25.postimg.org/ewhvn1jwv/image.jpg

Freeky
26-05-14, 21:25
Please do! :)

Positive thoughts

Thanks!

Nice view Oosh! I've always wanted to go to Yorkshire!:)

Oosh
26-05-14, 21:29
The little forest on the horizon on the right, Leeds Bradford Airport just behind there. You can watch the planes taking off and landing all day.

Yorkshires lovely. All hills though. No good if you ride a bike.

Freeky
26-05-14, 21:39
The little forest on the horizon on the right, Leeds Bradford Airport just behind there. You can watch the planes taking off and landing all day.

Yorkshires lovely. All hills though. No good if you ride a bike.

Haha! Well I don't have a bike so I'll just go hiking instead!:shades:
I'm sure the people in the airplanes heading to and from the airport admire the view as well!

Oosh
27-05-14, 10:22
Yeh, hikings a better idea. You can hike without trying around here. As you can see I live on top of a giant hill. Walking anywhere from here is a hike.

There's a canal and the river Aire down in that valley. Can walk right along both.

Fell in love with this house as soon as I saw it.

Whenever a delivery man comes you can only see the back of his head because he's always gawping at the view.

Regarding your original topic of wanting to live in isolation in the country, I used to work on overhead power lines. I was given a van, equipment and had to travel, always, deep into the countryside following overhead power lines into all of those isolated places who could only receive power from overhead lines. I have flashbacks weekly of all of the special little places I'd find myself.
Basically I was hiking off into the remote countryside for a living. I loved it.

Many times I got jealous of the remote secluded homes I'd run into. (Flashbacks again)
I mean some of these places were so secluded they were hostile to get to and the days I would be there they were battered by harsh weather as many were high up and exposed, the memories are like dreams which leave me thinking "was that place real or was it a movie I watched!"
Amazing remote places. But the fact is, if you lived there you'd have to say goodbye to many of the things you take for granted living in cities.

These remote homes regularly lose their power for long periods. They have no internet ! They have poor or no mobile phone network coverage. Superstores can be hours driving away. I couldn't do without those things despite me always liking disappearing off into the countryside

Imagine no internet !!
Regularly people would approach me asking if I was here to install the internet and I'd be like "nope".

Freeky
27-05-14, 17:21
Yeh, hikings a better idea. You can hike without trying around here. As you can see I live on top of a giant hill. Walking anywhere from here is a hike.

We live on a hill as well so I know that feeling! There are some places in our back garden that slope steeply and our neighbour's garden used to be a quarry, so we have a nice 20ft drop to the left of us as well!

Regarding your original topic of wanting to live in isolation in the country, I used to work on overhead power lines. I was given a van, equipment and had to travel, always, deep into the countryside following overhead power lines into all of those isolated places who could only receive power from overhead lines. I have flashbacks weekly of all of the special little places I'd find myself.
Basically I was hiking off into the remote countryside for a living. I loved it.

Man I'm jealous!:D Bet those places must've cost a lot to buy or do up though...

But the fact is, if you lived there you'd have to say goodbye to many of the things you take for granted living in cities.

These remote homes regularly lose their power for long periods. They have no internet ! They have poor or no mobile phone network coverage. Superstores can be hours driving away. I couldn't do without those things despite me always liking disappearing off into the countryside

Imagine no internet !!
Regularly people would approach me asking if I was here to install the internet and I'd be like "nope".

I'll admit the internet thing will be bothersome, our broadband right now isn't so great, but I have heard legends out here about small villages in the middle of nowhere who have fast internet (sadly ours isn't part of it!). We've been pretty used to power cuts as well, in 2009 we had a massive storm and some people were without power for days, our village's power came back after three hours though the farmers lent out generators to those who were still without. Got a day off school for it though!