PDA

View Full Version : Got the job.. now what?

Manny
24-05-14, 21:21
So, I had an interview for a job at a Cultural Art Gallery, something that goes with my degree and would be a great opportunity for me. It's only an 8 week work term. It involves showing exhibitions, helping tourists, and creating exhibits. Creating exhibits/research, check! No problem. Showing exhibits? Helping navigate tourists and telling them about the work? F***. I simply feel the anxiety happening already. The job is not even starting until June 30th, but I can feel my stomach aching, my heart racing, my palms shaking. I feel hot, but I'm shivering cold. I hid the piece of paper in my journal, afraid to look at the job date/hours I just wrote down. I want to be able to do this. I need to. I need to be able to eat over the next few months, pay back debt etc. Not just that, I WANT to work at a gallery, in my head... but my reality says, 'hey you know you can't do it. you know you will suffer great discomfort and panic attacks almost everyday you go"... Anxiety is stopping me from living my life.. I want my life back, but I don't know how to get it back. I'm also feeling ashamed of almost feeling worse about getting the job than not. I guess it means its because I have to face my fear, even though I have tried before... Anxiety anxiety... will you show me no mercy?

aprilmoon
24-05-14, 21:54
Hi Manny!
Its me,the "sandwich" lady :D
Come on hun,this is doable.
This could be a great opportunity to show yourself just what you can do.
I know the gremlins are telling you something else,but shut them out by concentrating on all the things on your list that you've already "checked".
Creating exhibits and research sounds like something to get your teeth into,so start with that,and make it your pride and joy.
You already want to work at a gallery,so visualize yourself doing it,and doing it really well.
Anything that comes into your mind that's positive,or a good idea,jot it down.
How would you say it? How would you feel when you said it? Did that feel good?
Enlarge on that.
You say anxiety is stopping you living your life,I know how that feels,but keep thinking about how great you're going to feel when you've done this.
What a breakthrough.
And who knows where it might lead? Who you will meet?
So many nice types of unknowns can be lying in those 8 weeks.
I'm not saying that there won't be times when it may be hard,but you will cope with those when you need to,you can be sure of that,so keep focusing on your strengths.
You may enjoy it so much you'll wish it was for longer.
Find a place in your head where you start enjoying the anticipation,and go from there.
I'm rooting for you.

Manny
24-05-14, 22:14
Hi April :)

Thank you. I definitely keep trying to think positive, or imagine myself in the position and enjoying it. Sometimes I think, if they liked me in the interview, I am doing something right and I should be confident!It's so hard to be though, cause then my brain goes on the anxiety trip. You're right though, I would feel great to do it, and look back feeling accomplished and maybe even excited about things to come. I just get so anxious doing thing in front of people, and speaking. I start to not make much sense and that makes me more anxious. jdskajdsaljdla. I guess all I can do is try. Thank you for the words of encouragement :)

Oosh
24-05-14, 22:16
Warren Buffet (American billionaire) suffered from social anxiety. He knew it was a big weakness of his so he enrolled on a stand up comedian course to learn how to feel confident standing and talking in front of others.
THIS.... could be .... YOUR Warren Buffet moment !!!

Somewhere inside you there is a Manny who knows how to do this.
If you do this, no WHEN you do this, this will be one of those moments you look back on in your life and say "if I hadn't have done that I wouldn't have done all these wonderful things and showed myself I could do it if I had to".

Isn't it simply a case of memorising a script to tell the people and then just repeating it over and over ? It must be. They can't expect you to improvise each time.

Learn what it actually IS you'll have to do when telling them about the exhibits. Break it down and see the reality of what it is, I bet you it's easy and well within your ability. Once you memorise those scripts on the exhibits I bet you could rattle it all off without thinking. And any questions anyone might ask would be beyond easy.

You know your stuff, you'll know your exhibits. I think you can do it. And then you can reap all the rewards. :yahoo:

Manny
24-05-14, 23:28
Thanks for the words of encouragement.. I hope you're right... !

Booboojenny
24-05-14, 23:49
Well done!!!
We all have faith in you, visualisation really helps...you can do this ...great support here for you :)

.Poppy.
25-05-14, 00:26
I think new jobs can often be very rough. There are a lot of things to learn, people to adjust to, etc. And of course at the beginning it is all very overwhelming. I started a student job in January and I *hated* it - I even contemplated not going back after a few days. But I stuck it out. I had to leave it a week ago because I am no longer a student at that University, and it was honestly very, very difficult because I had come to love it there. There were aspects of the job I didn't like, but the people were awesome and I am going to miss them greatly.

The biggest thing here is that you need to realize that you CAN do this job. Clearly you love art, and the tourists you interact with will as well. You are essentially sharing your love with them. I promise you that it won't be as hard as you convince yourself it will be. Most likely, you'll spend most of your time answering their questions - which is easy, because you'll know the answers. The rest of the time, it's sharing information that, again, you already know.

The first few days may be difficult - you may trip over words and you may feel afraid. But the trick is to not let that stop you. As the days go on, it will all become second nature to you, I promise.

Good luck, and congrats on the job!

swgrl09
25-05-14, 03:33
Just wanted to say I am starting a new job this week and can really relate to the anxiety. From my past experiences, nothing has ever been as bad as I have expected it to be. :hugs:

PunkyFish
25-05-14, 11:54
So, I had an interview for a job at a Cultural Art Gallery, something that goes with my degree and would be a great opportunity for me. It's only an 8 week work term. It involves showing exhibitions, helping tourists, and creating exhibits. Creating exhibits/research, check! No problem. Showing exhibits? Helping navigate tourists and telling them about the work? F***. I simply feel the anxiety happening already. The job is not even starting until June 30th, but I can feel my stomach aching, my heart racing, my palms shaking. I feel hot, but I'm shivering cold. I hid the piece of paper in my journal, afraid to look at the job date/hours I just wrote down. I want to be able to do this. I need to. I need to be able to eat over the next few months, pay back debt etc. Not just that, I WANT to work at a gallery, in my head... but my reality says, 'hey you know you can't do it. you know you will suffer great discomfort and panic attacks almost everyday you go"... Anxiety is stopping me from living my life.. I want my life back, but I don't know how to get it back. I'm also feeling ashamed of almost feeling worse about getting the job than not. I guess it means its because I have to face my fear, even though I have tried before... Anxiety anxiety... will you show me no mercy?

Hello

I've been in the exact same position. I finished university and needed a full time job so I could survive ect. It was a challenge for me even to fill out a job application and go to an interview, let alone start a new job. Despite wanting to get a job so I could live again and buy/do the things I want to do the anxiety made me wish that I never got a job. When I eventually got a job I had panic attacks, couldn't stop crying, felt a bit depressed and on days I wouldn't even get out of bed. For me the anxiety is one of the worst feelings in the world because it can stop you doing what you actually what you want to do with your life. However I told myself to accept the anxiety, take one hour at a time and to push myself to do this. I did not want the anxiety to stop me from achieving what I want to achieve.

I now work full time and have been in my job for about ten months now. I'm not going to lie it can be hard work at first. Pushing yourself to get up in the morning for me is hard work! I still have my bad days when the anxiety can get the better of me but I take everything slowly and one task at a time. You say anxiety is stopping you from having a life. To beat it you have to face your fears which I know is scary. But you can do it! Firstly be honest with the art gallery and tell them you're worried about showing and talking about the work they do. The gallery won't expect you to be good at it straight away. You could even have a script to help you when doing the tours. Don't feel ashamed for feeling worse because you got the job. I was exactly the same, it's just the anxiety making you feel like that. The motivation for you to do this is that you sound like you need the cash and that this sounds like a fantastic opportunity for you! If I carried on like I was I would still be in my bedroom crying my eyes out and broke! as opposed to living again. Don't let the anxiety win, take things slowly and one task at a time. You will do great! :D

All the best. :)

Manny
26-05-14, 02:06
Hello

I've been in the exact same position. I finished university and needed a full time job so I could survive ect. It was a challenge for me even to fill out a job application and go to an interview, let alone start a new job. Despite wanting to get a job so I could live again and buy/do the things I want to do the anxiety made me wish that I never got a job. When I eventually got a job I had panic attacks, couldn't stop crying, felt a bit depressed and on days I wouldn't even get out of bed. For me the anxiety is one of the worst feelings in the world because it can stop you doing what you actually what you want to do with your life. However I told myself to accept the anxiety, take one hour at a time and to push myself to do this. I did not want the anxiety to stop me from achieving what I want to achieve.

I now work full time and have been in my job for about ten months now. I'm not going to lie it can be hard work at first. Pushing yourself to get up in the morning for me is hard work! I still have my bad days when the anxiety can get the better of me but I take everything slowly and one task at a time. You say anxiety is stopping you from having a life. To beat it you have to face your fears which I know is scary. But you can do it! Firstly be honest with the art gallery and tell them you're worried about showing and talking about the work they do. The gallery won't expect you to be good at it straight away. You could even have a script to help you when doing the tours. Don't feel ashamed for feeling worse because you got the job. I was exactly the same, it's just the anxiety making you feel like that. The motivation for you to do this is that you sound like you need the cash and that this sounds like a fantastic opportunity for you! If I carried on like I was I would still be in my bedroom crying my eyes out and broke! as opposed to living again. Don't let the anxiety win, take things slowly and one task at a time. You will do great! :D

All the best. :)

Thank you for your words, PunkyFish. You've definitely hit the nail on the head. I'm very glad to know that someone experiences this similar phenomenon and perhaps I don't need to feel so ashamed. Although, I'm certainly not glad that anyone has to experience anxiety! I'm sure you know what I mean. Face my fear... face it. One of the hardest part is stepping inside the door at the gallery... step 1? I hope that your job continues to go well... It gives me hope hearing your story:). I know anxiety won't ever go away 100%, but I hope that it at least lessens. Thanks :)

---------- Post added at 01:05 ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 ----------

Just wanted to say I am starting a new job this week and can really relate to the anxiety. From my past experiences, nothing has ever been as bad as I have expected it to be. :hugs:

I certainly hope it's the same case for me - that what's in my head, is not what I will experience in real life.<3.

---------- Post added at 01:06 ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 ----------

I think new jobs can often be very rough. There are a lot of things to learn, people to adjust to, etc. And of course at the beginning it is all very overwhelming. I started a student job in January and I *hated* it - I even contemplated not going back after a few days. But I stuck it out. I had to leave it a week ago because I am no longer a student at that University, and it was honestly very, very difficult because I had come to love it there. There were aspects of the job I didn't like, but the people were awesome and I am going to miss them greatly.

The biggest thing here is that you need to realize that you CAN do this job. Clearly you love art, and the tourists you interact with will as well. You are essentially sharing your love with them. I promise you that it won't be as hard as you convince yourself it will be. Most likely, you'll spend most of your time answering their questions - which is easy, because you'll know the answers. The rest of the time, it's sharing information that, again, you already know.

The first few days may be difficult - you may trip over words and you may feel afraid. But the trick is to not let that stop you. As the days go on, it will all become second nature to you, I promise.

Good luck, and congrats on the job!

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Poppy :). I suspect that I will trip over my words and feel very anxious/afraid... I must figure out a way to be OK with that so that it doesn't stop me.