PDA

View Full Version : IBS/digestive issue and really not appendicitis?

scclj
25-05-14, 05:26
Hello,
I've been having some pain in my abdomen and lower middle/right abdomen (accompanied with bad gas/indigestion) since Thursday night. My pelvis and lower back on the right side have also been occasionally hurting. The pain first was in the belly button area and then below it, above/near the groin and to the right of it around my right leg, and very occasionally to the left. Tonight I've noticed it further up my chest, just a gargling feeling. Occasionally I feel something low in my stomach. The pain has come and gone, but hasn't been very severe, so I dealt with it Friday and early Saturday, but I decided to go to the emergency clinic on Saturday afternoon. All this time, I had been horrified that I might have appendicitis or something serious. I decided to go to the clinic because I was afraid it might burst. I was so upset I could hardly eat.

Anyway, I went to the clinic, and saw a physician's assistant. They thought I might have a UTI or kidney stones, so I had blood work, x-rays, and a urinalysis. My temperature was normal. The tests showed no infections of any kind. I was examined for hernias, appendicitis (pressure tests), etc. Nothing. The PA said she felt/saw gas and saw some stools stuck on my right side. I kept asking about appendicitis (I'm horrified of it bursting, even more than surgery). She said it was very unlikely since I didn't have the symptoms but an ultrasound would definitely rule it out. She also said the appendix is on the right side and not towards the center although in rare cases they can be located in odd areas. I'm supposed to have the ultrasound next week if the pain persists. Basically, I didn't come away with much other than that I have a lot of gas and indigestion. Those symptoms started Thursday night. The pain still comes and goes, sometimes I have none (like when I wake up in the morning, or even walking the dog tonight), other times I can hardly sit down. The PA said if it got worse to just go to the ER for an ultrasound. I feel normal but my anxiety is killing me.

Anyway, I can't get over obsessing about appendicitis. What if something was missed, what if I dont have the normal symptoms....or what if the person I saw didn't know what she was talking about since she's not a real doctor? What if it erupts on me and I die or have a long/painful recovery? Even a medical opinion couldn't put my mind at ease and I just keep reading more on the internet :( A friend of mine actually said she had IBS and had similar pain areas and symptoms and couldn't move from pain. I read more about it and it seemed rather possible, although I heard nothing about it when I visited the clinic this afternoon, just gas/indigestion and unexplained pain in the groin and lower abdomen. Some of the symptoms I've had seemed similar to IBS, and my digestion has been suddenly off over the past couple of days. It just hit me.

Anyone ever had anything like this? So far, a medical opinion, my parents, and several others haven't been able to calm my mind but I'd welcome any opinions :/ I've tried the GasX she recommended, maybe it's helped a little, I'm not sure. My pain hasn't been as bad/noticeable.

emmawalton
27-05-14, 16:41
oh my god u sound just like me, i have been experiencing the same.

Amandala
27-05-14, 21:04
:hugs: going through the same, waiting on bloodwork and an ultrasound on Thursday. I'm afraid it's my kidney, liver, or gallbladder...

Elliott
03-06-14, 22:17
I had a bout with appendicitis fear not too long ago, similar symptoms to you, always worried and afraid I was in danger. Turns out I had scan with contrast and it was negative. It was just indigestion and constipation. Anyway, since you have been checked out, it is very possible the same applies to you as it did to me. I worked it up in my head and could not stop obsessing.

Oh, the things anxiety can inflict!