PDA

View Full Version : Is peppermint tea good for the gut?

Petesy
25-05-14, 13:09
Hi Everyone

Was just wanting your take on peppermint tea, is it great for bowel movement? Digestive system etc..?

I've had a torrid time with my stomach, no pain just a really rotten feeling, discomfort, knotting, and my bowel movements have been odd, solid lumpy, to loose, and not feeling like I've fully emptied my bowels like I've ran out of squeezing power, constipation also.... The past few days have been a nightmare with it straining which has led to the infamous grapevine aka (piles) lol sorry to be a bit graphic but I have to say it how it is folks.

My diet is healthy, I don't drink alcohol, i exercise 4 times out of the week.... So Frustrating and quite debilitating when those symptoms are at full swing.

Any advice would be appreciated or even if you can relate

Thanks

Petesy.

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Anyone...?? :blush:

Annie0904
25-05-14, 13:10
Peppermint tea is good for bloating and trapped wind. Chamomile tea has a calming effect on the digestive system and is an anti inflammatory.

Petesy
25-05-14, 13:25
Without fail Annie to the rescue :-)

Was beginning to think I didn't have the arse factor their :D

Yeah the chamomile tea is great I didn't know it was an anti inflammatory that's good to know..

I've yet to try the peppermint but think I should with all that's going on.

I was out shopping with my fiancee 2 days ago and I had to leave her in the shop and run to the toilet for no.2 (sorry) 3 times this happened and no dihorrea just loose then constipation straight afterwards I felt really nauseous afterwards... I was passing gas but not the amount I thought was going to come out, just pimps :-( so if the peppermint tea helps with wind then I'll be brewing a cup pronto..

Any idea what this might be Annie??

Thanks again

Petesy :hugs:

Annie0904
25-05-14, 13:29
It sounds just the same as me and I have IBS. It really is a pain...literally. I can't go anywhere unless I know there will be a loo near by just in case.
It was suggested to me that Acidophilus (from Holland and Barrats and other herbalists) help. I have bought some and just started taking them so can't say how good they are yet.

Petesy
25-05-14, 13:30
Is it ok to drink both at separate intervals Annie?

Annie0904
25-05-14, 13:31
Yes of course it is :)

Petesy
25-05-14, 13:52
IBS my fiancee has that her g.p prescribed her mebevirine (I think that's how it's spelt) but I'll think i'll take your approach on it Acidophilus Holland & Barrett is only 10 mins away from where we stay so it's handy

That's great to know I can have both chamomile & peppermint on the same day thanks Annie

My g.p told me I could get ibs with all that's being going on with the anxiety but my bowel movements were fine at that time, actually prescribed 0.2ml peppermint oil capsules just incase I still have them.

Annie0904
25-05-14, 13:59
I can't take meberine or buscopan as they interact with my Anti depressants. They make me feel worse. The teas are more natural.

Petesy
25-05-14, 14:13
Yeah I can't even take anti depressants I think they've tried me on them all, I can't cope with the symptoms waiting for them to kick in, they put me on buspirone after all that and I was lying on the floor room was spinning, no sleep whatsoever for 2 nearly three days, hallucinations, I went back to the g.p engulfed with rage not normally an aggressive person, he prescribed me 2mg diazepam and i'm now awaiting cbt

That was horrible

I think you're right natural is best :)

Annie0904
25-05-14, 14:16
The only anti depressant that works for me is Dosulepin which iy a tricylic AD. SSRI's made me worse.

Alice1
25-05-14, 14:21
Ginger tea is wonderful for digestive issues (and lots of other things) too.
Liquorice tea is great as well, espeically in the evening. Personally I find it calms my stomach and my mind better than chamomile.

Annie0904
25-05-14, 14:23
Yes Ginger is another one that I use :) I have ginger and lime at the moment. I will give the Liquorice a try :)

Petesy
25-05-14, 14:23
I hear you on that one, i just became border line agoraphobic on SSRI's and bad crazy thoughts.

That's why he prescribed me diazepam really couldn't do anything or cope and I told my g.p I needed to for my kids and fiancee who has M.S

Annie0904
25-05-14, 14:26
I couldn't leave my bed when I took Prozac... I started to feel suicidal, so scary.

Magic
25-05-14, 14:29
Hi Petesy,
My daughter drinks nothing else but peppermint tea.
I don't like it myself.

My sister used to drink it, but found out she was allergic to it.

I used to have lots of bowel trouble,(well I still do)but find what I eat and take helps so I know what the pain is like.
I eat allbran every morning for breakfast and also have movacol sachets
from GP.
It's no joke when it comes to finding a toilet near by
Good Luck x PS. yes ginger is good

Petesy
25-05-14, 14:58
Thanks Alice

Ginger tea I'll give it a go anything for this tbh Holland & Barrett are going to be rubbing their hands lol, liquorice tea aswell I'll be stocking up :hugs:

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

Thanks Magic

The peppermint tea is getting drank :D

I eat weetabix every morning with O.J and try my best to keep tabs on what I'm eating, healthy foods all the time thats why I get upbeat about my stomach in knots and bowel movements it's not like I've just started eating a healthy diet.

I understand about the toilet fiasco security guards were looking at me like I'd been shoplifting I was running that fast lol

Annie0904
25-05-14, 15:12
OJ? Orange juice? I couldn't drink fresh orange especially first thing on a morning, that does affect my tummy real bad!