PDA

View Full Version : What makes xmas special.

Granny Primark
10-12-06, 20:34
Ive got 2 children a son age 31 and a daughter 21.
Weve always been a close family (until this year) and had special little rituals.
My son left home to live with his partner 2 years ago and this year my daughter left home to live with her patrtner.
My goodness i wish i could turn the clock back to when my kids were small and the little things we used to do. Santas mince pie and glass of sherry, ruddolphs carrot. My hubby going downstairs and turning all the xmas lights on then shouting loudly "Hes been!!!" Even tho my kids were in their 20s!!! My hubby saying santas been really good to you this year and my son agreeing yet he was 27! LOL My kids opening their pressies and when they opened them all they always knew that wed hidden the best pressie in the conservatory.
The xmas dinner and the cheap wine wed have to toast to their departed nans and grandads.
This years going to be so different. My house is decorated like Blackpool illuminations even tho its just the 2 of us.
Ive had 2 really bad xmas"s but i now realise its just a day and ok what if the day doesnt really go as wed wanted it to? Its only one day and there are 364 more days left to enjoy.
We really do put too much emphasis on one day of the year. But the excitement we see in our childrens faces is well worth the effort. And i know that my children will reminise on the traditions and excitement theyve experienced of xmas and hopefully pass it on to their families. Its these special little things we do that get passed down from generation to generation.
Id be interested to hear what special littlle rituals however silly other people do at xmas.

Take care
lynn XX

sophieunderscore
10-12-06, 21:54
I'm 19 and I still get a stocking with an orange in the bottom and chocolate coins!

manmoor
10-12-06, 22:10
Hello Granny,

My Xmas is always hectic as I cook for all the family on Xmas day which means I cook for 17 people! I've been doing it since my dad died 10 years ago before that we always went to my mums but I made a suggestion thinking it would only be for one year but they didn't take the hint lol. I always overdo decorations, food etc and never ever run out of alcohol lol. After we eat dinner we all go to dads grave to lay a holly wreath(and cry). Then it's back to mine for a party. This is the first Xmas I've been looking forward to in years so I'm a bit excited. xxx

Take Care

Mandyxx

yorkylover
10-12-06, 23:35
I dont have children,but I have dogs.I always buy them lots of toys and put them in a red sack.Believe me its like having kids.I have to keep the sack out of sight until christmas or there both in it trying to open the pressies.Christmas day they get there gifts and they love to rip the paper off and get the pressie.I get so excited for them,and they get excited.Dinner time they have a little bit of turkey,veg and gravy mixed in there dinners.Then we all curl up together for a nap.:)yes Im probably very sad,but they are a huge part of my family and they make my christmas.

Ellen XX

Lindalou64
10-12-06, 23:52
wish you all a mery mery christmas..................lindaxxxxxxxxx[8D]

mooks
11-12-06, 00:59
i hoping xmas is good this year last year was terrible as lost my dad

Ellen LOL about dogs...i have a daughter shes 13...my my two dogs are my babies...they have advent calenders..stockings etc...and xmas dinner..im the same they are my life
Today we dressed them up in tea towels..took a photo of them with a cuddly donkey and a wrapped up baby jesus...to send to our family..LOL its ssssso cute..

domino
11-12-06, 07:23
Well this year we have an extra one for dinner, my daughter,s boyfriend. Um passed christmasess,loads of family staying over, you slept where you fell, those we,re fun ,q ing for the bathroom, bacon and eggs sizzerling in the pan, a hugh turkey that would last till easter, smiling faces, laughter, tears. Oh how i miss those times. my girls are all grown up now i have one who is 23 and my other daughter is 21. She is coming home from uni and i am sooooo excited, Wishing my parents we here too , they passed away in 1984/1987 last week they both had their birthdays, In my home town HEREFORD my twin [on the families behalf] donated two bubbles on a hugh christmas tree , wrote messages of love for them they call it light up a life. Merry christmas to you all and let,s hope that 2007 we will all find the answers we are looking for.