PDA

View Full Version : failing memory

janeyK9
10-12-06, 22:45
Is it just me or does anyone else with OCD find that their memory has suffered badly as a consequence? I suppose it could also be down to the panic attaks and constant worrying but i have to make a 'to do' list every day which includes things like 'walk the dog' as i'm frightened i'll forget. I have no memory of conversations with friends and i could watch a movie for the 3rd time and think i'd never seen it before.

My OCD usually consists of trying not to think something awful will happen when i touch something (like a light switch or the microwave, anything actually). So trying not to think that disaster will strike, i rack my brains for a happy thought and use that to touch the object, and as if by magic- it all feels ok. Maybe all that energy spent on OCD doesn't leave much room for memory. Any similar experiences? Thanx for listening.

Janey xx

clickaway
10-12-06, 22:55
Hi Janey,

I thinks it a symptom of any kind of anxiety and not just OCD. I suffer from Generalised Anxiety Disorder and yes, I use so much energy worrying about myself, other things just go straight out of my head.

One thing I have found that even important things get forgotten. All my bills are paid automatically, but its the things like sorting out some things to do with my mum's estate that my mind conveniently forgets about.

As for shopping, I don't do a list and walk around the store going through what meals I'll need, so I really only have to "remember" the non-food type items which I don't need to buy every week.

Cheers,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers