PDA

View Full Version : Metal testing

Spikie
27-05-14, 08:38
Is it worthwhile getting tested for metal levels in ones body? Basically I have wondered about it for a while, as I often find myself wooly headed and forgetful, but I've never had the chance to have a test. Now I have had a company recommended to me who will test food intolerances, vitamin deficiencies and metal levels for... well, I am happy to pay it as it will be a one off and then I will know.

But is it all pseudo-science and meaningless, or is it scientifically backed (the metal thing, I know intolerances are real as all I need to do is drink a milkshake ;) )?

Or will it be a can of worms when they highlight metals I have too much of and I then have to restrict my diet to an incredibly reduced scope?

Anyone have any feelings on this?

itisok
28-05-14, 07:18
what is this

Spikie
28-05-14, 13:07
what is this

A supposed link between levels of various metals in the body and mental states. Last time I looked at it they were trying to link autism to it, that autism was caused by inbalances in metal levels in the body. Whether that was ever proven I'm not sure, but the idea that I might be retaining more of a metal than others from my food, causing my memory, attention and mood issues is enticing.

But I'm not decided on whether I truly believe it yet, hence my asking on here to see if anyone has an opinion.

Catherine S
28-05-14, 14:25
Not sure if this comes under the same umbrella but there is a condition called haemochromatosis, which is too much iron in the blood rather than too little. If you're not scared of Dr.Google look it up, it tells you about symptoms of it. Other than that I'm on a magnesium health drive at the moment after discovering just how much a lack of it can affect us, including anxiety etc.

Spikie
28-05-14, 23:23
Not sure if this comes under the same umbrella but there is a condition called haemochromatosis, which is too much iron in the blood rather than too little. If you're not scared of Dr.Google look it up, it tells you about symptoms of it. Other than that I'm on a magnesium health drive at the moment after discovering just how much a lack of it can affect us, including anxiety etc.

Hmmm, I was expecting more people to have heard of the metal thing (aside from iron and magnesium I still Believe :) ), maybe I could be the board guinea pig and report on what they said and whether rebalancing the levels in my body helped :)