PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Injections

pau1200
27-05-14, 12:25
Hi,

Ive been to se my gp today as ive had pain in my shoulder for 8 weeks now, and after she examined me commented on that it felt stiff so the best action she said was to have a steroid injection. She is going to do this tommorow afternoon and after a quick google im a bit scared that its going to be painfull.

Has anyone had these injections and what was it like, I already feel anxious and ive got over 24 hours to wait, why couldnt she just do it there an then.

SADnomore
27-05-14, 17:27
Hi, there! I had this done for my shoulder about 6 or 8 weeks ago. They normally put an anaesthetic in with the cortisone, so you don't really feel much, and somehow anyway the stiffness itself sort of cushions the needle. It's not like a venous prick, not painful like that at all. It feels a bit numb for awhile, then there may be a delay until it settles in. I was advised to do no lifting or repetitive motions (like scrubbing or what have you) for 4 days so), but to keep the arm/shoulder moving just the same. Once it takes effect, you will be amazed to have back use of your shoulder and be able to move without stiffness and pain. I am really happy to have this option while waiting for an MRI to see what's up. X-rays showed arthritis, but as I may have injured it as well back in December, there may be a small tear or something. Anyway, no worrries, and best of luck to you! Remember no heavy lifting with that arm for a few days. (Your doc may have had to order in the cortisone. Here, we have to take a prescription into the pharmacy and then bring back the vial a different appointment.) :yesyes:
Marie

pau1200
27-05-14, 23:12
Thanks marie, that has really put my mind at ease. I hate looking at things on the internet because you only ever seem to get the horror stories.
I damaged my shoulder about 8 weeks or so ago, i struggled with shoulder movements only a little at first but the pain came a few weeks later.
Fingers crossed this will help.

SADnomore
28-05-14, 21:14
Hi, again!
How are you now after the shot? It could take days to really notice a difference in pain and stiffness, it didn't for me the first shot I got several years ago, but it took nearly two weeks to really work this last time. I realize I forgot to mention a couple of things: it's probably going to be easier on the shoulder to use your smart phone than a laptop for the next few days. The position of hand/arm/shoulder on a laptop isn't good for your shoulder, so if you do go online that way, try to limit the time to just checking email or FB for just a few minutes. I should know, I'm really quite obsessive-compulsive with the computer, I'm afraid, and suffer the consequences often! :noangel:

Oh, and your blood pressure will read high for a number of weeks after steroid injection. I could google why this is, but I do far to much "research" as it is! Lol! :roflmao:

Take care and good luck with the shoulder! Keep it limber now :D
Marie