PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone work full time with anxiety?

Jen1989
27-05-14, 18:06
Just wondering if anyone still manages to work full time with their anxiety? I always wonder if having too much free time makes anxiety worse as we allow ourselves to think too much?

Lyn89
27-05-14, 18:31
Yes I do! :) but I love work, it gives me a sense of purpose and achievement as well as structure, which I really need. But it's different for me because my anxiety stemmed from being unemployed and not finding work successfully. But once I got my job I felt a lot better. Most people are the other way around-- work aggravates their anxiety and worries so they feel better when they take time off or reduce their hours. It depends on what you think you need-- trust your instincts. When all this started no was convinced that getting a job (though my biggest wish) would never be enough to fix how I was feeling. I thought I would be anxious forever for sure. But as soon as I got it I felt maybe 70-80% better. So if you think working will help you and it's what you need, keep looking! I got one eventually, persistence always pays off. If you think you feel better not working, trust that and be kind to yourself while you take some much needed space :) it all depends on the person

NE21 worrier
27-05-14, 18:38
I do. Somehow.

(Actually, I agree a sense of purpose and structure is generally a good thing but my current stressful job in a contact centre has sent me over the edge in terms of anxiety twice in 12 months (most recently in the last week or so (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=154057) :sad:) - and so I am desperately looking to escape asap even if it means working PT for a bit)

Peter

Angelika
27-05-14, 18:44
Personally, yes I do. I'd rather be there and busy, with something to distract me, than sitting about at home. I think it depends on the person.

Mr.Jitters
27-05-14, 18:55
I do, and so long as I make sure to spend as much time on self-care and down-time as I do working, it does me good. I have just as much time to think as ever, but I have things to think about other than what's going on in my mind and how I feel.

Lyn89
27-05-14, 18:58
Mr Jitters makes a really really good point. Work can't be an escape, you still have to dedicate time to self care, I agree. Otherwise you just make it worse

Jen1989
27-05-14, 19:27
Thanks for your reply guys :) I'm self employed and own my own dance school and have noticed that I feel better when I'm at work. I'm desperate to go back to university to further my dance training and so that I have a "purpose" during the day but I worry it might be too much lol but hearing that all you guys manage to work full time has helped :) I have noticed recently that when I have my time off during the day I over think everything and my symptoms increase..... maybe we are people who need to be busy all the time lol xXx

Oosh
27-05-14, 21:14
I work full time. Some people need to stay involved as withdrawing can lead to thinking too much and losing confidence. I'm a bit like that.

Saying that I've learned I NEED time to think. Not like it, I need it. I need nothing to do and nothing to think about so I can just dwell on things a bit.

You run your own dance school. How interesting is that. That's fantastic.

Rennie1989
27-05-14, 21:15
*Puts hand up*

I think if I was unemployed my anxiety would be worse because, like you said, I'd have too much free time to think. When I have the opportunity to I'd love to work part-time, but, financially, I can't.

Working full time with anxiety can be done!

swgrl09
27-05-14, 23:29
Just started full time work again today ... I was not full time, but part time due to school although the hours of school, internship, and work did add up to 40+ hrs a week. I do find it keeps my mind off my pretend health problems. But I do get anxious about work, such as my job performance, if I'm good enough, etc. So if I'm home doing nothing, I'm anxious. If I'm at work, I'm anxious about something different. Ha! Oh well, take it one day at a time.

xBettyBoopx
27-05-14, 23:56
Hi Jen

I worked many years full time with the anxiety but many times was made redundant!

I don't know now how I would cope with a job but it has been over 9 years. Because of my age I say that I am in early retirement, that sounds better than, can't work because of ill health!

Els

Catherine S
28-05-14, 00:15
I worked full time until I retired as a medical secretary and worked with anxiety the whole time but If I felt a bit ropy I took myself outside the building and did some deep breathing. I came to accept that I was alone with it...nobody could really help me...so I coped as best I could with it and I don't think anybody at work ever suspected that I struggled sometimes. I'm proud to say that in all those years as a single mum, I brought up great kids despite my limitations. The hubby I have now came along much later but he understands my fears and has really helped me.

marlowe78
28-05-14, 02:38
Does anyone keep thinking about work when they're outside of it? That seems to be my new problem lately. I don't understand why. I used to never care about work outside of working hours but lately I'm fretting over the work that's waiting for me when I go back. This can't be healthy and I try to distract myself but my mind is too active to block it out.

blueangel
28-05-14, 09:20
I'm another one who has worked full-time with anxiety. I'm much better having something to do, as otherwise I fall into rumination, which is no good for me. I have to say I would always encourage people to work if they possibly can, as once you come out of work or go off sick for a long time, it gets very difficult to get back into it.

shannabanna
28-05-14, 09:31
I think way too much if I'm at home. I start a new job, week after next. I will be so nervous but different from the anxious feelings I'm getting whilst off work. I can't wait...I will be glad of the distraction!:-)

Lyn89
28-05-14, 09:35
Marlowe78, from what you're saying it sounds like you have workloads to deal with everyday, possibly from the day before or just things you can't get on top of? It really helps me to write a plan out for the day of things I need to do, both in and out of work. I'm nor sure if you already do that, but a plan of what I'm doing that day and what I'm doing tomorrow helps me feel less burdened because I have a clearer picture of my day and what to expect. Hope this is good advice!

Goldfinch
28-05-14, 12:06
I'm wondering whether anyone else works on their own with anxiety? I work full-time at home. Having to concentrate on work certainly does help to focus my mind and keep me from ruminating, but I miss the company of colleagues.

swgrl09
28-05-14, 12:37
Does anyone keep thinking about work when they're outside of it? That seems to be my new problem lately. I don't understand why. I used to never care about work outside of working hours but lately I'm fretting over the work that's waiting for me when I go back. This can't be healthy and I try to distract myself but my mind is too active to block it out.

Yes, this is definitely hard for me. My husband is able to just not think about work after the day is done but I ruminate about what I did, what I have to do, what might be waiting for me, etc. If I stay busy, it helps but if I just go home and hang out, it gets worse.

binashubby
28-05-14, 18:54
I work full time, and do aerial circus in the evenings. I find that doing stuff keeps my mind off the anxiety. Its harder to do stuff during the depressive stage.

Madgirl12
28-05-14, 20:41
I work fulltime but every day is a struggle, especially in the mornings. In the mornings I wake up feeling like I've got an exam, a feeling that, years ago, I used to only ever *get* when I had an exam :( I always go in there full of dread at what might happen and I'm usually having to pop painkillers by 10am because I have a stress headache, although on very rare days I can go without. I've usually calmed down enough by lunchtime but it's been very, very busy for a while now and I've nearly lost it a couple of times. I'm concerned I'll have a breakdown at work (not been on medication for well over a year) so I'm planning on speaking to a doctor soon and asking for help because although I have ok days sometimes I can't go on like this much longer.

I work with people who are all well educated (degrees, PhDs etc) and I never went to university. So I'm always comparing myself to them and thinking that I'm not good enough. I hate having such a low opinion on myself. I'm fun, funny, not unattractive, not stupid and have various interests but I always feel like I don't fit in and that everyone else is 'better' than me.

marlowe78
29-05-14, 01:25
Marlowe78, from what you're saying it sounds like you have workloads to deal with everyday, possibly from the day before or just things you can't get on top of? It really helps me to write a plan out for the day of things I need to do, both in and out of work. I'm nor sure if you already do that, but a plan of what I'm doing that day and what I'm doing tomorrow helps me feel less burdened because I have a clearer picture of my day and what to expect. Hope this is good advice!

Thanks for that. I actually keep a planner with things that are still pending. I just put way too much pressure on myself because my coworkers understand that we're short on help ATM and are not giving me a hard time.

Today was a lot better. My work anxiety must feed off my general anxiety and it comes and goes. I really am debating, though, if I should take on more responsibility in the office when I'm so on edge now. Turning down a step forward in the organization is never looked on very well.

blueangel
29-05-14, 09:17
@Madgirl12 - having an education doesn't necessarily increase your self-esteem, or at least it hasn't in my case. I've got a masters degree and I've spent long periods in my life thinking that I'm not good enough! Don't forget that most of them will have hangups too...

Booboojenny
29-05-14, 23:52
I have worked full time for 4 years now, and my job is a very stressful one working with autistic children.
Although I have been signed off now for three weeks with severe anxiety while my meds kick in, i do find usually work takes my mind of my anxiety but this time it was just too much ...

somerandom
31-05-14, 13:20
I work full time and I'm diagnosed with GAD, OCD and Cyclothymia (bipolar-spectrum disorder).

The meds keep me on a relatively even keel most of the time and I always carry some diazepam with me in case things get too much for me. I've fortunately only had to take them a few times; a few colleagues know of my anxiety as it is hard to control all the time and there have been times where I've had to fly out of the office for a while to calm down.

It adds structure to my life which is very much needed; routine and purpose.

Stu82
01-06-14, 16:04
I do and always have done even after I started with anxiety. It is much better to be working rather than having too much time to dwell on symptoms.:)

positive1
06-06-14, 13:51
I work full time and have done throughout my current bout of anxiety. I find it gives me something else to focus on. If, just for a minute at a time I am not thinking about how horrible I feel, then this is a good thing. 1 minute becomes 2, became an hour, becomes sometimes a whole day...I think work has helped me not hide away and be scared of going out. Some days I don;t know how I got myself out of bed and in here but I did. I told my boss what was going on and he was very understanding - it just took away a teeny bit of the presure of trying to behave "normally". I gove working with nice people in a generally positive environment a big thumbs up on the road to recovery. Don't sit at home and dwell all day, it's not good for anyone, even the most positive people would flounder in that situation.

MarcW
06-06-14, 16:29
Not only do I work full time I also have a senior position within my company. The fact I make it through the day is a wonder at times!!

Antianxiety
06-06-14, 16:33
Yes, full-time work here. I can't see not working because my mind would go wild and I'd be counting every single heart beat. Work can be stressful but works as distraction. My mom suffers from sever anxiety as well and can already retire but she won't because she knows her PAs will take over.

Paulb231286
07-06-14, 23:32
Hi there I work in a very busy full time job with anxiety, slowly starting to get better now after a horrendous few months, currently on propronanlol to help calm me. Find it's best to keep busy and not let thoughts wander if possible, although I know how hard this can be! Also eating well and keeping hydrated is important. Sometimes just a case of getting by / doing what you can too. All the best! Paul

Rockgirl
08-12-14, 12:44
I'm like booboojenny - normally I do, promoted this year in the same workplace, given no training or support - I have asked for it - now signed off sick for 2 weeks whilst my meds kick in. I'm really doubting my abilities to do the new job - without having messed up yet particularly, I feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark (a lot). I work hard and take pride in what I do so having to admit I can't cope feels terrible...!