PDA

View Full Version : Sickness fear - Citalopram and ibuprofen! Help!

DepressedOptimist
27-05-14, 23:45
Hi all, I should introduce myself quickly so you all know what I am like, and how to help I guess..

I'm a 20 year old female from the UK, suffering with anxiety and depression.
I have been taking Citalopram for about a week now in 20mg and today had a HORRID headache, so recently just took the only tablets I can swallow which were Nurofen Ibuprofen Meltllets tablets.
I did not know you couldn't take them!
But I took my Anti depressant at 7am today and my ibuprofen at 11:30pm I was unsure...
When I realised I stopped at one instead of two.
I was really concerned when i found out about this, I have a HUGE HEALTH ANXIETY problem which is the cause of majority of my panic attacks.
I have had a huge sickness phobia since I was 9 and cannot even think of being physically sick so whenever I feel nauseated I feel like my worlds crumbling and I need someone,something!

I have work tomorrow and a holiday on Saturday so I cannot be ill!

Someone help me please!!!!!!!

3tikes
28-05-14, 00:02
I take 20mg of citalopram and usually take ibuprofen (nurofen etc) if I have a headache. I've never suffered any side effects. To be honest I wasn't aware that you couldn't take them with cit. Come to think of it when I had pulled a muscle a couple of months ago the doctor suggested I alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen for a week.
The headache could possibly be an initial side effect of starting citalopram but any symptoms usually diminish after a couple of weeks.
Hope you feel better soon and enjoy your holiday :)

Catherine S
28-05-14, 00:40
What tells you you can't take these meds together? I take ibuprofen all the time as they are anti-inflamitory. I also take thyroxine and the betablocker propranolol every day. I asked the local pharmacist about the combination and he suggested I just take these two a couple of hours apart. The ibuprofen doesn't interfere with either of them. I didn't realise there were meds you couldn't take them with.

emeraldgirl
30-05-14, 15:54
I have been taking 20mg a day citalopram for years and often take ibuprofen. I have checked the leaflet in my tablets and it does not say ibuprofen under the 'do not take these tablets' section. It does mention that taking aspirin or ibuprofen at the same time as citalopram might affect the blood platelets but I think that is just for information in case you have a blood test. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about or it wouldst actually tell you not to take them together.