PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest thing I've ever posted...help

LF87
28-05-14, 02:05
Hi.

I know not many of you will understand this, and shockingly Google doesn't seem to have much info either which is scaring me even more.
So, for years now, since I was a teenager, I've had this weird feeling I can bring on. It's like a surge of energy that runs through my body. It tingles and can leave me twitchy afterward. I never really thought about it much until tonight. I decided to Google, and all I got was other people saying they could do it too. Now, they also wrote it makes their heart rate increase hugely, and causes their pupils to dilate. So I thought, oh my god, does that happen to me. And yes, it does. My heart pounds and on looking in the mirror I can make my pupils voluntarily dilate.
I am totally terrified now. I'm crying and shaking and it's 2am so I've no one to talk to.
Some people had commented saying you shouldnt do it because it'll give you a heart attack and all this sort of stuff, because it might be voluntary release of adrenaline which would be really bad.
I know all this sounds crazy but I'm so frightened and just want someone to calm me down. I don't knkw what this weird thing is I can do, but I'm very frightened of it, and I'm scared I'm going to keep doing it.
Could I damage my heart? I'm seeing my doctor on Thursday, was an unrelated appointment but this will now be the topic. I'm doubtful she will know about it because there's zero info on it I can find.
Anyone :(

Jabberwoxx
28-05-14, 02:07
Hey,
How does this feeling come about exactly (describe best as you can). If you can bring it on by thinking about it then it's much more likely to be a psychological thing than a physical thing.

I get this strange sensation sometimes which feels like electricity coursing through my body which I can seemingly summon at will. I quite like it though (it's a strange pleasurable feeling) so you're not alone :)

RoseEve
28-05-14, 02:27
We all get it. I get this if I see something really beautiful or if I think really deep thoughts. It becomes unpleasant but not harmful.

LF87
28-05-14, 02:32
Jabberwox, it's not brought on by thinking. I can literally command it without any thoughts, movements, nothing. I can make my pupils dilate and my heart rate increase in a matter of seconds for no reason. It feels like an uncomfortable electric surge and I can 'hold' it for about 10 seconds. Do you get that? Or do I sound mad!
Thanks RoseEve x

Angelika
28-05-14, 09:47
Could just be an adrenaline surge? Especially if it freaks you out. Sounds very anxiety-ish.

LF87
28-05-14, 10:14
Yeah it could be. But it's just so weird I dont think even the doctor will know what I'm on about. And I'm worried it could damage my heart :(

Catherine S
28-05-14, 12:09
If its something you can bring on yourself and you are worried it might harm you, maybe you shouldn't keep doing it? Without knowing exactly what it is...and people replying are only guessing, it might be safer to just stop doing it.

LF87
28-05-14, 21:39
I don't want to do it, but I get urges. OCD type urges, like the 'checking' feeling. Otherwise I just wouldn't. I've read a few articles where people have had the same feelings, it isn't that uncommon. And a few people who can do 'it', whatever 'it' is, have had tests to check their heart and it's been fine. Should I feel comforted by this?
I'm so upset, I thought I was getting better.

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Jabberwoxx
30-05-14, 21:24
I don't want to do it, but I get urges. OCD type urges, like the 'checking' feeling. Otherwise I just wouldn't. I've read a few articles where people have had the same feelings, it isn't that uncommon. And a few people who can do 'it', whatever 'it' is, have had tests to check their heart and it's been fine. Should I feel comforted by this?
I'm so upset, I thought I was getting better.

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

I had a similar thing a few years ago. I kept thinking I had to 'check' this certain weird thing I could do with my brain. It terrified me, but I kept thinking I had to check I could still do it, or to make sure I couldn't do it as to where it caused damage, if that makes sense?

Anyway, what helped me was being told to just 'let it happen'; for example with your situation, don't be bogged down into thinking you have to do something, but if it does happen, just let it happen and let it wash over you. If those other people have been fine then chances are you will be as well. Your brain is so over the place at the moment that it sounds to me like you want to see how far you can go with this thing; you're doing that as some sort of safety net. But then you'll fall into the vicious circle of keeping on doing it because your brain will eventually find something else to worry about concerning this thing.

I found a good tactic was to think something like "I want to be good to my body, so I don't want to keep doing this thing, but if I do feel like I have no choice but to do it, I will let it happen but stay calm".

anthrokid
31-05-14, 06:16
LF87, it actually sounds to me like a rush of adrenaline.

LF87
31-05-14, 14:39
Thank you both for replying.
I spoke to my doctor about it and she put a little heart monitor thing on my finger. She said it did spike up a little, but that it wouldn't do me any harm. Even though this isn't a medical issue, ie a disease or something, I should still treat it with the same methods of not googling shouldn't I? I found loads of people posting saying they could do the same thing and found it interesting but confusing. Also found that people who had seen cardiologists about it had no abnormal heart issues. But you still get the people saying ooh that's bad, you might give yourself an arrythmia or damage your heart. But my doctor says it's fine. So I should go with the doctor shouldnt I? And just treat this as any other HA freakout even though its not actualli.an illness technically?

LF87
01-06-14, 19:01
Anyone?
Should I be treating this as any other HA? Would the doctor tell me if she thought it was dangerous?

anthrokid
07-06-14, 00:06
Always go with what a doctor says over what people say online. ANYONE can post online. Your doctor would tell you if she thought it was dangerous, but you didn't need me to tell you that ;)