PDA

View Full Version : GP Practices

Jacsta
28-05-14, 11:19
So I'm writing this thread whilst feeling really frustrated, upset and angry...but what I have to say needs to be said..

GP surgeries really need to buck up their ideas

I have been with my current practise since I moved in with my husband 5 years ago, it's a small surgery with only 1 GP and 1 practice nurse. I recently had to have some blood tests which aren't standard and were a special request...these had to be taken at my GP surgery, which was fine, the practice nurse took the blood and sent the form.

4 weeks later (I have been out of the country on holiday), I try and ring to get the results....we all know that when we ring the surgery its the receptionist that answers...now you would think that a receptionist would be trained in customer service at the very least...she was rude (as usual), tutted and sighed whilst looking on the computer...and then just says that they cant give me the results and I need to ring someone else....when challenged the answer was the same and that was the end of that.

So this morning I get up and I ring these other people....and they were lovely and very helpful....just like you would expect a worker in healthcare would be when an anxious patient rings up for some pretty make or break blood test results. She understandably didn't have access to the results either, but kindly offered to ring my GP surgery on my behalf to get them.

The snotty receptionist yet again put up a wall to her and tried to make out that I didn't even have the blood test at the surgery!...After another 2 phone calls from her (one to my practice nurse and another to the blood lab) I have the results and thankfully they were negative.

You would think I was happy at these results (I'm sure I will be eventually) but to be honest I'm traumatised. By the time she read the results out, I was in tears out of frustration and worry because surely if the results are that blocked they must be bad?

I would have thought that a GP surgery...that deal with vulnerable people everyday would have more tact. My records show that I suffer from anxiety and depression...but even if it didn't....surely patients can be treated with more compassion than rude impolite receptionists?

Receptionists are part of the face of the nhs, they are a first point of call for a lot of people...surely more resources should be put into training them to live up to that responsibility...I suspect if they were more helpful, patients wouldn't end up going to A & E unnecessarily.

Communication isn't a lot to ask for...

This isn't the first incident with this surgery, and due to illness of me and other half there hasn't been the opening to change surgery as we would have to start again...but I think the time has now come to change surgery and see if the next is any improvement....one can only hope...

Thanks for reading, sorry it isn't a happy topic

ray52
28-05-14, 17:20
That sounds awful can't you put a complaint in to your GP about her, they have probably go a few already if that's her attitude.

Jacsta
28-05-14, 18:23
Well that's the thing. My other half was really ill a year ago and he ended up in hospital because of the incompetence of the GP....I tried to make a complaint then but they made it very hard to do so.

MRS STRESS ED
28-05-14, 19:14
Im sorry to hear that im very lucky my doctors have been great but I understand what your saying there is no need for rudeness ,by the sound of it you need to change your surgery sometimes the receptionists think they have the right to play doctors roles dont put up with it love xx

Catherine S
28-05-14, 19:40
Some receptionists, though not all thankfully, feel a bit self-important because they know there is only them between you and the doctors. Probably more so if its a single doctor practice and she's the only receptionist...she obviously feels very important! I worked in quite a large practice where there were a lot of receptionists...myself not included...and I'd cringe listening to some of them, they could be really rude to patients.

Jacsta
29-05-14, 08:14
That's the point I'm trying to make though, receptionist should have training and should be monitored on how they deal with people....people saying oh they just want to feel important isn't good enough. If I went to work and spoke to patients like that (I'm (I@m) a nurse) then I'd lose my registration and complaints would be in the thousands

Elen
29-05-14, 08:18
Having moved from a practice where the receptionists were very professional, friendly and helpful to one where they would rather chat amongst themselves than deal with patients I can understand what you mean.

I find it really off putting having anything to do with my current practice simply due to their attitude.

I would definitely be looking at changing surgeries as this one appears to not only have a self important receptionist but also an incompetent GP.

Hope you find somewhere better.

AlexandriaUK
29-05-14, 11:00
I think you should put this in writing to the practise manager and maybe email them as well,most Drs have practise managers as standard that way you have got past the receptionist.
If you are truly unhappy with your treatment then you need to make this known, give them 7 days to respond and if they don't you then contact the nhs.
Read reviews on all drs before choosing.

Catherine S
29-05-14, 12:47
I think at the point of interview they are told how to treat people with politeness and patience, but obviously for some it goes by the wayside after a while. So there probably should be some kind of review to keep on top of it because its so common...I think we've all had experiences with bad ones at some point!

ISB

Jacsta
29-05-14, 16:37
Yes, me and my husband are going to write a letter of complaint over the weekend. The issue last time when we wanted to complain was that he was very ill in hospital...and they wouldn't accept me complaining on his behalf! So unfortunately again the venerable people lost their voice.

I am also moving practice, it just really is sad that so many people share the same story as me through experience

SarahH
29-05-14, 20:20
Really sorry you had this experience..... definitely complain.

BUT not all are like this. Just this week I called with a "small" emergency that I wont go into here. I was treated brilliantly, appointment with hours, blood tests the next morning and then today when I called back because things were still not right I was seen by the on call GP within 2 hers.... I was treated with courtesy and kindness by all at the surgery and have a scan booked for next Friday at my local hospital.... now that is good service!!!!

sarah