PDA

View Full Version : HalfJack - you are a genius

UKmamainUS
28-05-14, 18:10
I posted the other day about some tooth issues I have had for ages now. After seeing a number of dentist they couldn't pinpoint the problem and just assumed it was a root canal issue. I am scheduled to have root canal treatment on Tuesday.

HalfJack suggested I might be grinding my teeth. I knew I don't grind but was also aware that I clench sometimes. I bought a bite guard from the store and the first morning after using it I woke up, and a pain in the neck (same side as tooth pain) I have been enduring for two years was gone. Not completely, but I can now move my neck without getting pain in my fingertips.

Moreover, the pain from my tooth is almost completely gone. Still there a bit but my gums are irritated from some food I ate recently, and I think that's the pain I am feeling now. I asked my dentist about this yesterday and he agreed that clenching may well be the issue, and he is happy with my postponing my treatment for a while to see if the mouth guard completely eliminated the tooth pain of if it comes back. I asked him about the risk of spreading infection if it does turn out this is in fact an infection, and he said it is highly unlikely, especially given the fact I've had pain on and off for years, and severe pain for 8 months and yet never had an abscess.

So thank you HalfJack for suggesting something that two dentists, 3 chiropractors, and a masseuse failed to even consider.