PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal Blood Test after initially going to see about IBS

hcarterb
29-05-14, 09:37
Hi everyone,

I have just discovered this forum and hope someone can help or help to put my mind at ease!

I went last week to my doctors with IBS symptoms and just expecting a chat but my doctor decided to send me for a blood test which I have never had before. I rang the doctors for the results yesterday and was told it said blood result abnormal, come in and discuss with GP. I asked if there was anything else I could be told and the receptionist said oh there is a note on mild anemia but can't tell you anymore than that!!

I am now in a panic as to what it is, I do worry anyway and this worry is not helped that the doctor also wants a stool sample (that I have not even done yet) and I am also waiting on smear results which I have had trouble with in the past so now I am in a panic that my blood has come back abnormal!!

The earliest appointment they could give me was next Wednesday but they said I can go to the walk in without an appointment tomorrow morning which I am going to do. I am just so worried it is something sinister or am I being silly and would the doctors have called me back urgently if it was?

Thank you to anyone who can help and sorry for the ramble!!

AlexandriaUK
29-05-14, 10:28
Hi sadly receptionists are not allowed to give you any more info, can you not wait to go and see your gp as although the walkin centres are great for sudden onset illnesses they don't have all the answers for say tests your Dr is carrying out, mild anemia will be sorted with a course of iron tabs or even a change in diet,if you still have pesky periods then that could be the reason, diets lacking iron as in certain meats and veg can also cause it.
Try not too worry too much your Dr will put you straight.
Don't you have a same day appointment system at your surgery where you ring early.

hcarterb
29-05-14, 11:05
Hi, Thanks for posting back.

Think in my ramble I didnt explain my doctors properly. They actually do a walk in morning surgery which you dont need an appointment its a first come first serve type of system! My doctor has been on holiday so had no appointments till next week but is apparently working this Friday at the walk in so I can get to see her, rather than have me in a panic all weekend!

I do think my diet has been pretty bad over the last few months, had a few personal stresses (nearly splitting up from boyfriend etc) so when I get wound up and upset I tend to not eat properly. I just wrote a food diary and had hardly eaten a thing and had no fruit or veg etc in it!

Again waiting on smear results is also causing me worry so my eating is all over so fingers crossed it is just anemia and diet causing it as you have suggested! Just when I went regarding possible IBS last thing I had on my mind was blood results and them not being normal! Just feel like I am in a permenant anxious state at the moment with one thing and another! I didnt used to be like this but I lost my mum to cancer a few years back so I do tend to panic about everything now!

Appreciate you giving some advice though, fingers crossed for tomorrow on my bloods and my other results going ok!

AlexandriaUK
29-05-14, 20:48
Glad you explained thought you meant as in a walk in centre, I am sure after what you have just posted that you will find your diet and stress have caused you anemia so when you go tomoz you will get your worries laid to rest,when did you have smear test done

hcarterb
29-05-14, 21:19
Hi, I have everything crossed you are right! I have had a lot of stress since about Feb time, that's when my IBS symptoms started and i have kind of ignored things till now and then they go and send me for a blood test!

I had my smear a week gone Tuesday. Have been tested on that for last 5 years! Kept going normal then abnormal then got checked out and they couldn't find a thing wrong. Think if this next one is OK I go back to 3 years so that is why I am in such a worry last time I was about to go back to 3 years of course it came back abnormal!

Also got a stool sample to do yet, its never ending and I am a bag of nerves with all these results coming in!

Thank you for posting and listening to me though, do appreciate it, helps to get it all out.

hcarterb
01-06-14, 18:24
Well after my trip to the doctors I have mild anemia and the blood results showed some inflammation so I am now being sent in about 3 weeks time to the hospital to the colorectal clinic. She wants them to check for crohn's and colitis.

I have no clue what these checks are so will no doubt be having a panic. Doctor seemed to make it like it wasn't anything to worry about, I should have asked more but was too busy thinking oh no now what!!

On a positive note my smear was normal!

Autumn
03-06-14, 14:33
When you say the blood tests showed inflammation, was the C-reactive Protein(crp) raised, the esr (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) or both? How raised were they? Do you have your blood test results?

Usually our crp and esr can be raised for a number of reasons. The esr can be raised as a result of a virus or sore throat even. The crp is an inflammation marker as well -- both of these can fluctuate all the time due to exercise for example -- when we exercise we can make little tears in the body tissues and ligaments so if those markers are raised slightly don't be alarmed -- it's when they are raised to levels of 70 that the doctors want to do further investigations.

hcarterb
04-06-14, 15:15
Hi Autumn, To be honest I can't really remember. Think I was in such an anxious state going to see doctor I only picked out certain things and should have asked questions but just wasn't thinking properly.

I know on the anemia side the doctor said ranges and I was slightly anemic and was not far out of the normal range at all. I don't think she actually said on the inflammation I just got I had 'some' inflammation' so being sent to check for things like crohn's etc.

I didn't actually realise inflammation could be caused by a bad throat or exercise so that's interesting to know. I do know I did think I had a cold coming on recently was only slight then went again after taking some medication.

I have just has some symptoms which seem like piles, so was also thinking could blood tests have picked this up as inflammation. Basically hurt when I went for a poo then slight bit of blood on toilet paper like I had ripped something, bit like glass coming out (sorry if too much info). Have my appointment in 3 weeks time so not like i am being rushed in.

Thanks for your information though, is interesting to hear, doctor didn't explain any of that to me!

AlexandriaUK
05-06-14, 16:41
I have colitis and it did show in my blood as inflammation, they will put a short camera up you um and check for piles and Proctitis or colitis or inflammation from crones , doesn't hurt and if they find anything they will possibly give you peccaries? is that right spelling LOL.

hcarterb
05-06-14, 21:50
hi Alexandra, oh that's interesting to see you had inflammation then diagnosed with colitis. Glad you say camera doesn't hurt would be having a panic about that!! How are you after your diagnosis? Has it changed much in your lifestyle? I don't know too much on it as been trying to stay off looking things up incase i panic!!

Cags48
23-07-14, 19:10
I have anemia my doctor just gave me iron tablets no further tests , should I ask for further tests ?

Fishmanpa
24-07-14, 00:03
I have anemia my doctor just gave me iron tablets no further tests , should I ask for further tests ?

Why would you? "No action required" means "all is well, continue on as you've been doing".

Positive thoughts