PDA

View Full Version : Looking for online support with health anxiety

TheHusband
29-05-14, 15:56
I am posting on behalf of my wife, who doesn't feel comfortable using internet forums, but realises she may benefit from this one. She has said I can act as a representative, and take back to her the bits she needs to read. We are also trying to find a local support group, as she thinks hearing from other people with her condition might be helpful.

She has suffered from extreme 'worries' all her life, but six years ago it became clear this had become a proper anxiety condition with all the classic signs. Life can be pretty miserable. We found a good doctor who understands the problem (and actually suffers with it too). They have prescribed cilatopram, and said that CBT does not really lead to being cured. Doesn't sound too hopeful really.

We've read the book 'Overcoming Health Anxiety' (Willson & Veale) which seemed good, but there may be something better? We would love to hear from anyone who is more experienced in case we've missed something.

Recently the idea of physical exercise being good for mental health has cropped up, but my wife hates exercise very strongly indeed. Has anyone found it helpful?!

ecila92
29-05-14, 20:51
Hello - welcome! :)

Well done on signing up that's the first step!

I would disagree that CBT isn't helpful, it basically just teaches you about your condition, different techniques and help on how to overcome it. I've had anxiety/depression for years and it helped me!

I didn't stick with the antibiotics but I know for sure that it helps a lot of people. I do think that talking to someone is also important though! (CBT or group sessions)

Exercise is the key to overcoming anxiety because it releases a happy hormone!

Steps to getting better

- Understanding your anxiety
- CBT, group sessions or antibiotics
- Exercise or yoga
- Meditation
- Eat healthily
- Cut down on alcohol
- Sleep properly
- Drink loads of water

:)

MRS STRESS ED
29-05-14, 21:08
Hello and welcome cbt can help it give you the tools to continue to get better ,it wont happen quick because there isnt a quick fix to anxiety ,your wife has to keep using the tools she was taught also plenty of water keep hydrated ,exercise ,eat healthy keep reading and learning about anxiety knowledge is power

There is no easy answer just need to keep positive and focus on getting better the more you dwell on this illness the longer it will hang around try some relaxation cds aswell they can help I would go to bed and relax to them wish you both well keep pushing forward dont let anxiety beat you love you beat the anxiety xx

Libra
30-05-14, 15:17
I beat health anxiety twice.. It can be done though people have to find the right tools to get through it. . and keep it at bay .Having a good support system is really helpful and im sure you will find a lot of help on here...x

cattia
30-05-14, 18:01
Hello :)
I have had anxiety most of my life (probably my entire life actually) but unless I am having a major flare up which happens now and then, I am able to live a happy and fulfilled life. This hasn't always been the case, and I have had to work hard to find ways of preventing flare ups and dealing with them when they happen. They still happen and they are very rough, but they don't rule my life the way they once did. CBT can be helpful to manage symptoms, but for long term anxiety conditions, more in depth counselling or psychotherapy might be useful. Personally, one of the most useful tools I have found is self hypnosis. I use downloads of guided relaxation and hypnosis that I buy from amazon for less than a pound each. Not only do they enable me to totally relax, they also put me in touch with a more peacful and non anxious part of myself which I find enormously reassuring and helpful. There are lots of things you can do, and sometimes its helpful to think about long term management rather than a cure, as it takes away a lot of the worry and pressure on this illness (although I know some people would disagree with me about that, it's just my own experience).