PDA

View Full Version : It might be a food intolerance!

Alice1
29-05-14, 15:59
Hi guys. So despite not panicking much any more, I still have periods of hours or even days where I feel really awful.
My symptoms include what feels like heart flutters, random sharp aches and pains in my joints (including a weird aching in my chest), headaches or brain fog, drowsiness and lethargy, a full bloated type feeling rising all the way up to my chest, gurgles in my throat and occasional dizziness.
These things seemingly come on so randomly that I wonder what on earth is going on.
And I've realised, after doing some reading and monitoring my symtoms that all these things can be very easily caused by a food intolerance.
The symptoms of a food intolerance can be delayed (even up to 48 hours after eating the food) and vary enormously.
There are a large number of websites that even claim that almost all chronic conditions can be linked back to a food intolerance. And because it's so hard to diagnose, and near impossible through testing doctors rarely do it.
It might be the cause of all of some of your symptoms too, so it's definietly something to consider. I feel that anxiety can cause a lot of problems, but when you are seemingly of sound mind and know you aren't panicking I for one know how frustrating and impossible it can be to listen to someone say it's just anxiety.

After my final exam tomorrow I plan to start an elimination diet for a few weeks to try and see if that helps, and if it doesn't I will mention it to my doctor.
Here's a link to a good page on how to do this. One thing that confused me until I read another webpage on it is the reintroducing of foods. What they mean is that you introduce one for one normal serving, then wait. Then after a day or two, eat one serving of it again and wait. If there are no symptoms then you're probably good for that food.
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/elimination-diet

Anacids don't tend to help me, neither does anti wind and bloating tablets. Prehaps try these things, but excess stomach acid its not the same as a food intolerance so if they don't make you feel better I would stop using them.
Some things that give me quite instant relief and are backed up by many websites.
- Ginger tea
-Licqorice tea
- Chamomile (to a lesser extent but we're all different so give this a go)
- Fennel tea
I would put two tea bags in and leave them in until you've finished drt)inking as you'll get the most benefit. Also avoid peppermint tea for a bit as this can actually aggrevate acid reflux. Also small sips.

-Actual ginger
-Dry toast (burnt works wonders), or eating small pieces of ciabatta bread.
-Plain rice (white rice is probably better than brown in this case)
-Plain crackers (Ginger biscuits actually also make me feel better that might be psycological haha!)
-Bananas (to some extent)
-Avocados
Plain yogurt is also meant to help but I've found it aggrevates my situation, but agina, give it a go.
Applesauce is also meant to help but i'm not too sure what this is.

I've found that eating these foods slowly really help, and the process is also quite soothing.

All the best.
Ali

SarahH
29-05-14, 16:04
Alice your post is very detailed and helpful.... however all your symptoms could be down to "anxiety" particularly if you are taking exams.

sarah

Alice1
29-05-14, 16:09
Hi Sarah!
Yeah that's true!
But I'm getting better at diffrentiating and sometimes I genuinly feel ill and have done for longer than I have been panicking about it, if that makes sense!
I'm trying to work on both, both psycological and physical, especially in methods that can't harm me.
My guess it's a bit of both!
x

SarahH
29-05-14, 16:11
Keep us posted:)

SADnomore
29-05-14, 18:25
Hi, Ali!
Thanks for all this! Very detailed and helpful. :D About a year and a half ago, I went to the new naturopathic doctor as I was having breakthrough reflux and cyclical bowel issues (constipation for days, followed by "the other way round"). Really bad. And the breakthroughs despite being on a very strong prescription acid blocker were beginning to worry me. Inflammation is not a good thing, least of all in the gut, I'm sure ... She gave me an elimination diet similar to yours, and had me stop taking the prescription acid blocker (very bad for women because it doesn't allow your body to absorb calcium, for starters). I was allowed to use my rescue med in case I had an acute attack complete with bile, but I only needed it once in the whole month! She started me off on Bragg's Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar, taken three times daily after meals. (It has to be raw, organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar to work, it's very dark compared to the filtered. The other kind is missing something. :mad:)What I do is to mix a tablespoon of it with a couple of teaspoons of agave syrup (allowed in moderation on the diet), and I stir in about an ounce or two of water. Toss in 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and stir briskly. Fizzes right up, and you drink it while still like that - down the hatch! Then get moving for at least 5 minutes! All your other tips work well too! We have to get off the prescriptions for these digestive issues, especially if they are caused by food intolerances in the first place :P

What I learned is that my no-go foods are soy (in all its varied forms in our diets), and dairy, although I can manage a little table cream and a little butter these days. All my bad gastric symptoms are gone! No more constipation/"the other" :winks: I avoid gluten too, it serves no useful purpose in my diet and my breathing is much better ever since. There are some nice gluten free breads for toasting, and yep, I'll have a piece of dry toast if my tummy is upset and it really helps!

I really encourage you to go for it, Ali! I used to have that bloated feeling and throat gurgles too, and they have left. As for the joint pains, I think it's amazing that this diet takes one off of nightshades. Oxalic acid, for those who are sensitive to it, can aggravate this. Nightshades include not only tomatoes, green peppers, and eggplant, but also potatoes, spinach and swiss chard. Bok choy is fine, though. :)

Good luck and keep us posted! (Best wishes on your exams, too!) :hugs:
Marie