PDA

View Full Version : NLP

jo61
11-12-06, 19:09
I'd be interested to hear your views on NLP. I've been having it for the past year and sometimes wonder if I'd be better off with CBT.

Jo

manmoor
11-12-06, 19:25
Hi Jo,

Never heard of NLP hun but didn't want to read and run. xx

Take Care

Mandyxx

jo61
11-12-06, 19:33
Long name is Neurolinguistic Programming. It's outcome focussed - ie where do you want to get to and how to get there.

Jo

bb01234
08-01-07, 00:32
NLP 'should' be able to be used quickly to resolve an issue. That would mean a couple of sessions.

However, by the time someone visits a therapist to discuss their 'problem' the underlying reasons for this have blurred into history and as such a case can be made for other more focused ways to resolve this.

If a therapist treats just the phobia / panic attacks they can end up treating just the 'surface dressing' on top and he client can end up with issues of symptom substitution, or short-term cures.

It's worth remembering that we all start off 'normal' and as such once the issues you have are resolved you shouldn't have to 'do' anything to go about your daily business of living.

You also need to be aware that 'anyone' can take exams in NLP and they will be 'up and running' offering their skills, CBT takes longer and is more formal.

NLP has been about since the 70's and as such there are other ways that can drill down to the underlying reasons for phobias etc.

HTH, happy to explain further if you wish

Regards

Brian

jbond1978
10-09-09, 09:46
Hello! :)

I just read this thread, and couldn't help defending NLP from a misinformed attack, although I know the thread is quite old.

bb01234 wrote: NLP 'should' be able to be used quickly to resolve an issue. That would mean a couple of sessions.

I say: No not really, some NLP techniques are fast, some require many sessions. It all depends on the problem at hand.

bb01234 wrote: However, by the time someone visits a therapist to discuss their 'problem' the underlying reasons for this have blurred into history and as such a case can be made for other more focused ways to resolve this.

I say: In my experience this is typically not the case. But also, in NLP, we are typically not very interested in the underlying reasons for their problem, we are more interested in looking ahead to the future.

bb01234 wrote: If a therapist treats just the phobia / panic attacks they can end up treating just the 'surface dressing' on top and he client can end up with issues of symptom substitution, or short-term cures.

I say: I agree, but luckily, good NLP therapists (as opposed to NLP "therapists", who have just followed a few weekend courses) dig deeper than the 'surface dressing'... It is not effective to change behaviour if in reality the problems lies on the level of e.g. identity or beliefs. Any decent NLP practitioner knows this by heart!

bb01234 wrote: It's worth remembering that we all start off 'normal' and as such once the issues you have are resolved you shouldn't have to 'do' anything to go about your daily business of living.

I say: being an active NLP practitioner, I agree! That said, the solution to alot of issues require training and that, of course, takes place outside the timeframe of single sessions. Most therapeutic directions (NLP included) involve some degree of training outside sessions.

bb01234 wrote: You also need to be aware that 'anyone' can take exams in NLP and they will be 'up and running' offering their skills, CBT takes longer and is more formal.

I say: Indeed, finding a good, well-trained NLP therapist is important - look for certifications and match these towards standards. NLP has some bad practitioners, but please remember that SO DOES CBT! :)

bb01234 wrote: NLP has been about since the 70's and as such there are other ways that can drill down to the underlying reasons for phobias etc.

I say: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has been around since the 60's and as such there are other ways that can drill down to the underlying reasons for phobias etc. NLP has evolved magnificently since the 70's and it is still being improved and build upon. Today NLP has to be one of the most widespread methods for coaching and alternative therapy and many psychologists use NLP actively in therapy - that's a fact.

All the best, Jens

jo61
13-09-09, 15:01
interesting stuff. I started this thread as had question marks around NLP but since worked them out. I saw an NLP therapist for over four years and she was very helpful in dealing with a lot of my deep rooted issues.

I recently switched to a CBT therapist but only because I felt the other relationship had run its course and I felt I needed a fresh perspective.