PDA

View Full Version : Pay for private ultrasound for my toddler?

robin321
30-05-14, 18:20
Long story short, my toddler (2 year old) has had a lymph node on the back of his neck, under ear for past 5 months. Initially Dr said he was probably catching a virus, and indeed the following week he had an incredibly bad flu (as did the whole family).
The lymph node remained. I went to the Dr again. The dr said it felt mobile, was around 1cm, and wasn't concerning. But he recommended an ultrasound and said if that was inconclusive, the only way to know for sure was to biopsy it.
My son is very active, energetic, and besides that flu, rarely sick.

So he referred me for the ultrasound, and it is in 2 months at the local children's hospital. My son already went there for an ultrasound of a hernia last winter. They are amazing there, and even explained the results to me on the spot.

My dilemma is that I just learned that there are private clinics locally that will take kids. This would mean going much quicker. But this makes me anxious because
- they cannot possibly deal with kids as much as a children's hospital. The children's hospital will have more experience getting good pictures, and interpreting them.
- Private clinics do have a bias I think to order more tests and make more $.

On the other hand, we can go much sooner. If everything is ok this will reduce our anxiety.

I am worried I don't want to go, because honestly the whole thing makes me anxious and I am putting it off.

RoseEve
30-05-14, 21:43
I really think you should just wait. I really think the ultrasound was ordered either to ease your fears or because your doctor is extra careful. I was told that the child's overall health is evaluated. Meaning healthy, not pale or excessively sleepy. No significant unexplained bruising.