PDA

View Full Version : Back on citalopram

Lintilla09
30-05-14, 21:48
Hi Everyone,

I have a long history of anxiety and depression and started taking 20 mg of citalopram when I was 15, had the increased anxiety side effects but nothing else and only for a few days. Around 20 the doctor increased my dosage to 40mg, with this I had no noticeable side effects. I led a very normal, happy life for 4 years only having the odd panic but nothing unmanageable, then at Christmas the doctor decided it was time I tried to come off them. I cut down to 20mg and gave it 6 weeks. It was hell. The panics were back, I was depressed. I spoke to the doctor who thought I'd cut down too quickly (despite having followed his advice to the word) and told me to start taking 30mg. Again I gave it 4 weeks. I was still in an awful place. I was then sent home from work and told to take as much time as I needed (but felt under pressure to go back very quickly). During this time I was given diazepam which stopped the panics and put back onto 40mg of citalopram. I had a horrendous bank holiday weekend but after felt better so I went back to work. Then the nausea started.
My panics have always been about feeling or being sick (I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've actually been sick). It's now been nearly 6 weeks since I started taking the full dose again, I've been prescribed 2 different types of anti nausea medication and am having to alternate taking a different one every 2 hours.... Yet I still feel so sick I can barely get the medicine in. My panics are decreasing but I've reached the point of wishing I would be sick just to feel better which is not something I ever thought I'd say.

This massive essay is all boiling down to....
Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so, how long did your nausea last? I heard from someone today that if you go back onto anti depressants you should take a higher dose then cut down to your normal dose as they are less effective. Any experiences would be good to know just so I can compare!!