PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol and lorazepam - reassurance?

Nioniel
31-05-14, 10:27
Hi, I'm new here. Bit of background. I'm 33 and have had panic attacks and agoraphobia since I was 25. I've previously taken fluoxetine which really helped for a long time but eventually seemed to stop working so I stopped taking them about seven months ago.

I've been coping mostly ok since coming off the fluoxetine. I haven't been getting out as much as I would like but I haven't had any major issues and I've been gradually trying to work on getting out more.

It was all going ok until Thursday. Thursday afternoon I started feeling quite tired, weak and just generally under the weather. The feeling gradually built and anxiety kicked in. I ended up having several panic attacks one after the other until about 11pm that night. It really frightened me because it all seemed to just come out of the blue and I was at home which is of course supposed to be my safe place. I woke up yesterday feeling fine but then about two hours later it started again, but worse this time because I was scared it was going to last as long as Thursday and I knew I couldn't cope with that all over again. Eventually I spoke to a doctor on the phone and he wrote a prescription for my sister to collect.

I thought it would be the same medications I've had before - 10mg of propranolol and 2mg of diazepam. Unfortunately when my sister dropped off the tablets I saw that it was 80mg of propranolol and 1mg of lorazepam. Luckily just knowing the medication was there was enough to calm me down so that I didn't have to use it but now I'm starting to worry in case I do need to use it over the weekend. 80mg of propranolol seems like a very high dose compared to what I was given before. Even thinking about having to take these tablets is starting to make me anxious. Can anyone offer any reassurance?

yenool
01-06-14, 07:45
Maybe the doctor feels your anxiety is so bad at the moment that you need a higher dose of medications to quickly get on top of things and to avoid spiraling downwards?

You have taken the propranolol before so you presumably know you are safe to take it and what side effects to expect (if any). Although more than what you were on before I don't think 80mg is a massive dose.

lorazepam is similar to diazepam and should have the same calming effects. 1mg of lorazepam is actually 'stronger' in effect than 2mg of diazepam.

Which one are you worried about taking most and what exactly are you worried about? Side effects or lack of response or..?

Nioniel
01-06-14, 09:47
Hi thanks for the reply. Last time I had the propranolol was five years ago and I only took it once or twice as I was quite wary of it then too. 10mg definitely had a noticeable effect of slowing down my heart so I'm finding 80mg quite intimidating. I still haven't been brave enough to take one.

I did take a lorazepam last night though. Wow! I was expecting a similar effect to diazepam, as in it just usually takes the edge off the anxiety enough that I can cope with it. In fact, it made me feel quite tipsy sand very sleepy. It certainly stopped the panic though. He wants me to use it to get to the surgery for an appointment tomorrow but I'm not convinced that's a good idea!

yenool
01-06-14, 17:09
You could try cutting the Lorazepam in half if the effect is too strong to function on it. I find lorazepam definitely gives a 'floaty' feeling, it is really quite pleasant because the anxiety just fades away for hours. :)

You could ask the Dr about maybe trying a lower dose of propranolol if you are really concerned about it? If you explain that you used to take 10mg and it worked well and you are scared to take 80mg all at once then the Dr could give you some 10mg pills. That way you could work the dose upwards more slowly.

Nioniel
02-06-14, 10:36
Thanks again yenool, I've done exactly that with the propranolol and thankfully haven't needed to take any more of the lorazepam over the weekend, although I would have tried half if I'd needed it. I've got a prescription for 2mg diazepam now so that makes me feel more comfortable. It's funny how just knowing the pills are available makes me feel less anxious. I'm the calmest I've been for days now. Thanks again for your advice