PDA

View Full Version : I can't walk properly

dezy numb fingers
31-05-14, 14:34
I've had various anxiety related problems for most of my life, but over the last 2 years they have become really, really bad, to the point now that I find it difficult to walk. My legs feel very heavy and I can only manage to walk around 20 yards before it feels like they're going to give way on me.
I was having problems with my left legs, which would tighten up of it's own accord and stop working briefly, but now it's both legs and I'm extremely worried that it's MS.
I wake up in the mornings and just don't want to get up because of the fear. My head and stomach are in constant turmoul.
I was training for a marathon not that long ago and running 30 miles a week and now I can barely walk up stairs and wouldn't even dare try walking about a shopping centre/town.
Has anybody ever ha anything similar to this? I did have problems initially with my left leg stopping working, but that eventually went away - I'm wondering now if that was the MS and I then went into remission. I've been holding off going to the doctors because I'm petrified of what it might be. I have got an appointment for a week on Tuesday and will probably get blood work done (I suspect), which will come back OK, as it always does. I think I need to see a neurologist.
I have to point out that I have been on diazapam (2mg 3 or 4 times a day) for 2 years and need to have a drink (usually about a bottle and a half of wine) to calm me down at night enough to go to sleep. I can't go on like this - please help someone!

Danii
01-06-14, 06:50
Hello! I've had the same thing. Mine was incredbly dibilitating, since I dont own a car, I have to walk to get groceries, and to get on the train to go to work. Mine came also with strange moving sensations, almost dizzyness but not exactly. My legs felt like they would give out, or they were jello, or they weighed way too much.

What I did was make an appointment with a neurologist, who was so comfortable with the tests she did in her office that she didnt even send me for a scan. Since then I have just told myself to go through it, and I often push myself when it happens. Sort of like, I challenge it. If you honestly cannot walk that is one thing, but if you can force yourself to move and you do end up walking okay, even with the bad feelings, I pin it down to anxiety.

An interesting thing that I have noticed - in regards to you rmarathon training - I ride my stationary bike about 20 miles a day. I had slacked off over winter, and started up again in the spring. I've noticed that around the time i started riding the bike the strange leg feelings started. This has also happened to me in the past, I would do ab work outs, and a week or so after starting I would get constant pressure and tightness there. my theory is you are gaining muscle, which is good, but anxiety takes over and makes all those new strong muscles tighten, giving you feelings you didnt have before.

Dont let that stop you though! I'd go to the neurologist for reassurance but just so you know, atleast one of us out here has had that feeling before.

Fishmanpa
01-06-14, 16:06
I've had various anxiety related problems for most of my life, but over the last 2 years they have become really, really bad, to the point now that I find it difficult to walk. My legs feel very heavy and I can only manage to walk around 20 yards before it feels like they're going to give way on me.
I was having problems with my left legs, which would tighten up of it's own accord and stop working briefly, but now it's both legs and I'm extremely worried that it's MS.
I wake up in the mornings and just don't want to get up because of the fear. My head and stomach are in constant turmoul.
I was training for a marathon not that long ago and running 30 miles a week and now I can barely walk up stairs and wouldn't even dare try walking about a shopping centre/town.
Has anybody ever ha anything similar to this? I did have problems initially with my left leg stopping working, but that eventually went away - I'm wondering now if that was the MS and I then went into remission. I've been holding off going to the doctors because I'm petrified of what it might be. I have got an appointment for a week on Tuesday and will probably get blood work done (I suspect), which will come back OK, as it always does. I think I need to see a neurologist.
I have to point out that I have been on diazapam (2mg 3 or 4 times a day) for 2 years and need to have a drink (usually about a bottle and a half of wine) to calm me down at night enough to go to sleep. I can't go on like this - please help someone!

Hi Dezy,

I'm sorry you're struggling so much with your anxiety :( Having been on the forum for a while, I recognize patterns that can be the reason you're stuck in the rut you're in. What you said at the end of your post is such a pattern. I'm a very firm believer in that fact that anxiety and alcohol don't mix, especially when taking meds and in this case diazapam (Valium) and alcohol is frankly a dangerous combination! A bottle and a half of wine along with diazapam every night and even the best of us would wake up feeling like poo! I would venture to say it's a hangover every morning that makes you feel like poo and is most likely the reason why your anxiety spikes and your body aches the way it does. The drugs and alcohol most likely leave you severely dehydrated and the vicious cycle continues.

While a neurologist may reassure you that you're physically fine, I would suggest a psychologist or psychiatrist to attempt to get to the root of why you're self medicating. Perhaps learn some coping techniques or CBT to help you better deal with the every day symptoms of anxiety.

Positive thoughts

dezy numb fingers
02-06-14, 14:45
Thank you sooooo much, both of you. This has really reasured me. I will push for an appointment with a neurologist, but can see the sense in what both of you have written. I would love to stop the diazapam and the drinking (I also take a lot of Nurofen plus), but I'm so incredably stressed out about the the way I feel and the fact I can't walk properly that I need some relief. Today I can hardly get of my chair at work - it's horrible, but I'll try and not let myelf go tonight and see how it goes. All I need is one good-ish day to spur me on, but now-a-days it just keeps getting worse.

ankietyjoe
02-06-14, 14:52
That much booze and those medications together is very, very dangerous and quite a health lottery. Despite the fact that you feel it helps you relax, it's doing you far more harm than good.

dezy numb fingers
03-06-14, 11:54
Didn't have a drink last night and feel so bad today, I'm going to have to phone for an emergency appointment at the docs, 'cause I feel like I can't walk/dizzy and nearly throwing up. Can't stand being like this. At work just now and honestly can't see the day out.