PDA

View Full Version : Conoloscopy Concerns

robinsky
31-05-14, 23:26
Hi

I am due to have a conoloscopy and a TI biopsy on Wednesday - in truth, I am not concerned that I am suffering from anything serious and was told it would be to search for Chron's disease.

That said, I have some major issues:

1) Needles - I am SEVERELY needle phobic - I've been told that GA for a conoloscopy is a no go - therefore, I would be aware of the staff putting the needle in my hand/arm. I just cannot cope with this.

2) Pain/Discomfort - I do not want to have a Conoloscopy and be aware of the overall procedure. I do not want any type of discomfort - now since a GA is not possible, I'm not left with too many options here.

3) Post Op Pain - I'm not too concerned about this to be honest.

4) Family - I'm wary of upsetting my family if I opt out of the procedure - I have to put my own welfare/feelings first.

Can anyone suggest anything for me?

Thanks
Robin

jane diane
31-05-14, 23:52
:yesyes:hi Robin I have had this done and it was fine there was no needles ,and they will ask you if you want gas and air or tablets to make you sleepey hope this helps best wishes you will be fine,

nomorepanic
01-06-14, 00:35
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nomorepanic
01-06-14, 00:41
Yes it involves a needle in the UK

But you don't need to look at it when it goes in

You could try it without sedation at all

I am having one on the 16th and I don't want the sedation but I know it will be painful so it is swings and roundabouts.

Mr.Jitters
01-06-14, 12:21
You can let them know about your fear of needles beforehand. You can buy numbing cream yourself from a pharmacy, but knowing where to put it is the issue. The sensation of a needle lasts for a very few seconds when you're having the cannula inserted without numbing cream, and even though you say you're extremely needle phobic, with a numbing agent you'll be hard pressed to feel anything.

Another option would be to speak to your GP and ask them to prescribe a one-off sedative like diazepam to take before you go for the procedure. Be sure to let the staff know when you go in for the colonoscopy and they'll adjust the dose of the sedation.

With IV sedation you will not be aware of pain or discomfort, in my experience it felt like I needed to go to the toilet while they were doing to procedure, but there was no pain at all. I went from crying hysterically to laughing at the fact that I kept passing gas (which was actually just the air they blow inside to inflate your colon). And the relief of actually having had the procedure done is well worth it.

Let us know how you get on!