PDA

View Full Version : Where to Begin...

Jam
01-06-14, 01:05
Hello everyone!

I've been suffering with Anxiety, Hypochondria, OCD & Panic Attacks for approaching 5 years now on and off and it is starting to creep up on me again.

Most of my issues occurred when I was going through my GCSEs. Regular panic attacks, huge anxiety issues, increased OCD etc. I saw a therapist who diagnosed me with G.A.D, Panic Disorder and OCD who really helped me deal with it with the help of CBT and other calming methods. After my GCSEs were done, I started to feel generally better and although I'd still have panic attacks, anxiety and OCD, there was a sure improvement.

However, fast forward to now and A few weeks ago I ended up in A&E due to the absolute worst panic attack I have ever experienced which woke me up at 4am. I only recognised that it was a panic attack whilst shaking uncontrollably in an ambulance strapped to an ECG machine and did feel quite silly after leaving A&E some 4 and a half hours later. Since that day, the panic attacks and anxiety has come back with full force.
I'm off to uni later this year and I'm pretty sure that may be a factor in this sudden return.

In a few weeks time I am off to New York! I am extremely excited about this as I have always wanted to go but am also feeling tremendous anxiety about it. Especially the thought of being trapped in a metal tube 30,000 ft in the air for 7 hours. I have not been in a plane since 2009 and am unable to stop thinking about it. Whilst the other half of me is actually quite excited about the flight too.

Anyway, I'll leave it there for now. :)
Glad I have found this place.

bimmer18
01-06-14, 04:54
Hey Jam! Welcome to the group!! You should be able to find a wealth of info, support and connections here. I'm so glad I found it too.

That's so great you're going to NYC....the actually goes by pretty fast, even though 7hrs seems like a long time. Literally you just watch a couple movies, take a nap and you're there. You'll have a blast...I love NYC! How long are you going for? You know anyone there?

Sorry your having a tough time...you're not alone!
:hugs:

Jam
03-06-14, 22:02
Hi! Thanks for the welcome, sorry I was late to reply.

Indeed! That's true. As long as I'm well distracted with films and TV shows I should be okay. I believe that virgin Atlantic seats have little screens installed in front of you which should keep me entertained (and hopefully calm).
Just going for the week, hopefully I'll be able to squeeze a lot in while I'm there. And no, I've never been to America before, have only stayed in Europe on past holidays. :D

Thanks again. :)

MRS STRESS ED
03-06-14, 22:21
Hello Jam you will find lots of help and support here ,hope you have a lovely trip xx

bimmer18
03-06-14, 22:44
Ok, I know this is about anxiety, but just some tips for when you're there: if you plan on going to Broadway shows, you can see them at a huge discount if you see matinees. Theres a place in Times Square you can buy them or this other great place called the South Street Seaport near the Financial District. Here is some info:
http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56
Also, if there's a specific restaurant you'd like to try, I.e. a Bobby Flay place or something, you should try and make reservations now. One of my favorite places was a Mario Batali restaurant in the west village I believe, and if you go a bit early for dinner, you avoid crowds and sometimes get discounts. Check out this link for more ideas:
http://www.zagat.com/
Ok if u have any questions, let me know! !