PDA

View Full Version : Finally a bit of an explanation about my dizziness

fedup36
01-06-14, 10:02
Hi all,

Well my last post was the doctor suggesting I may have epilepsy.... I'm pretty sure I don't... It doesn't really add up...

anyway my ENT referred me to see a physiotherapist and I finally had my appointment on Friday... I went through my whole story including the anxiety and the dizziness and the zaps... Turns out she's been through the same experience as me! Hers all began after a long haul flight like mine... She was given different causes and but no one really gave her an answer.... Anyway long story short the long haul flight can play havoc with your whole vestibular system, dehydration and stress all plays factors and it can take years later to sort itself out... Turns out the zaps are anxiety related and happen when my head wonders off and I start to relax...

Long story short my vestibular system is a bit screwed up but anxiety is a huge contributing factor... Any tips I have are sort the anxiety out, exercise, stay hydrated and try to relax... I've had my diZiness for 18 months and I've slowly learnt to accept it's nothing serious.. Once this happens you will notice it will slowly disappear... Yes there are bad days, yesterday was one... I couldn't bloodie walk in a straight like through a park... And then Tescos was just vile but supermarkets and these places reek havoc not only with your eyes and ears but anxiety as well!!

Things will never change over night and that's the hardest thing to realise... I thought as I got my answers on Friday I would suddenly be fine.. This isn't the case... You wake up some mornings and think right I'm going to get this sorted and then you get a dizzy spell and you are back to square one... After 18 months I can have nights out and forget "anything is wrong" and even mornings or afternoons... I can't tell you one thing that fixed it but intergrative therapy has helped so much by making me face issues I didn't even realise I was having! Also exercising and eating properly has really helped!!

Dizziness is a really common thing for anxiety suffers but you will get there...

ItchyOne
01-06-14, 15:13
Just to share my experience, I had an episode of dizzy spell some time last year.
It started after I just came back from a long haul flight too. I touched down in the morning, instead of going home to rest, I went straight to office. While I was standing and talking to my colleague, a sudden bad vertigo hit me without warning.

At first, I thought it happened because I was tired, but the dizzy spells went on for days. I could barely function, couldn't walk straight. I went to a GP, who sent me to an ENT. He did a couple of physical and hearing tests. Finally, he diagnosed me with BPPV - a benign condition of vertigo.

I wasn't sure if my anxiety had a part to play too, but I was certain that when I started to get anxious over my condition, the dizziness got worse. Fortunately, the dizziness went away after a couple of weeks just as mysteriously as it came.

Now that I think about it, it could have caused by the long haul flight.