PDA

View Full Version : Too much

I'mdave27
01-06-14, 16:58
Does anyone feel like this site makes them worse by constantly reading different threads ? While this site may be good for some people I'm pretty sure all this negativity is bad for you and I'm getting to a point where I'm fed up of it , I don't mean to offend. It feels like sometimes peoples problems become my own when I never even had that problem before reading a thread grŕrr

gregcool
01-06-14, 17:46
Hi dave.i can see what you are saying mate.but not being funny,if you feel this way prehaps ypu shouldnt come on NMP if it has that efect on you mate.best regards

Rennie1989
01-06-14, 18:04
There's a simple solution to that.

I'mdave27
01-06-14, 18:10
There is a simple solution to that yes I bet that didn't take long to get all defensive lol

bimmer18
01-06-14, 18:15
Hey Dave...it is sad to see so many people struggling, but for me, I also enjoy giving feedback and reading the comments, which often times are POSITIVE. But everyone needs to do what's best for them, just like one medication doesn't work for everyone. Wishing you the best!

Rennie1989
01-06-14, 18:29
Because you did not need to post a thread about it. You are grown up enough to know when things are getting heavy and when to take time out. Posting a thread like this could upset people who seek help and could make them too scared to ask for help in the future.

I'mdave27
01-06-14, 18:34
I never meant any harm

SADnomore
01-06-14, 19:15
Yes, Dave I believe you didn't mean any harm, it was about how you are feeling. Maybe didn't need to be phrased as a question. But we can't think of everything ... Anyway, to answer you, I have a few friends on the forum who have taken time out, oftentimes because they are getting better. They go or have gone to therapy, their meds if they take them, seem to be helping, and so they make the most of their recovery to get out there and live life! If they want to pop on and share their happiness and hope, they'll come back, but, frankly, they are pretty busy living their lives. And yes, other people have stated the same thing as you put in your question. For whatever reasons, they are unable to draw themselves towards the positive threads/posts, and it makes them increasingly anxious to spend daily time on the forum. A lot of times these folks have health anxiety and their minds start to look for those symptoms in themselves! And it just gets worse. So they take a break.

So, yes, you can rest assured that others have wondered the same things as you are now. That's really all you can say though, right? That you are pretty sure that what you see as "all the negativity" day to day is bad for YOU. A break and making some supportive friends offline may be what you need right now. The decision is yours, and you don't need to rationalize or justify it to anyone else. Have a think, and if the bad outweighs the good for you right now, then a break may be in order. No harm, no foul. :flowers:
Marie

I'mdave27
01-06-14, 19:18
I find it hard making friends as once I get to know someone or they get too close I don't want to know them.

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

I guess I don't like mushy mushy feely type of friendships if that makes sense

SADnomore
01-06-14, 19:30
Dave, if you are going to stay sober, you are simply going to have to make sober friends in the real world. And yes, they can tend to be in touch with their feelings. That happens. But it doesn't all have to be "mushy mushy". Strong, sober, life-loving people know how to communicate in well rounded ways, and a little open-mindedness on your part will lead you to friends you can be comfortable around.

I'mdave27
01-06-14, 19:39
I'm sorry but I can't be bothered to deal with how people feel I know it's selfish but it's how I am. I only have the ability to care for my emotions it's hard enough dealing with my own let alone anyone else's

MRS STRESS ED
01-06-14, 20:13
Dave its probabley how your feeling at the moment ,we all feel like that at times I no ,I do and you have given up drinking aswell this will effect how your feeling ,and I get what you mean by some posts do make us feel worse but thats because the poster is also going threw a hard time xx

Fishmanpa
01-06-14, 22:58
There's a simple solution to that.

Exactly!

Positive thoughts

swgrl09
01-06-14, 23:37
I appreciate your honesty about how you feel. I understand not wanting to be mushy. I can get sick of it myself. I also understand how hard it can be in the thick of your own stuff to even think about somebody else's feelings. It's important to remember that relationships go two ways though, so to some extant if you want friends you will have to be there for them as well.