PDA

View Full Version : POTS?!

Koalabear1992
01-06-14, 18:20
So, I've been noticing that when I stand up, my BPM goes from about 80 to about 115 to 120... is this deadly?! I'm so worried. Someone help me out here... does anyone else have this? Is POTS dangerous?! :scared15: I've also been quite dehydrated for a few days, can this do it too?

Elliott
01-06-14, 20:41
Darn, I don't really know all that much about pots, but I can tell you I have experienced many funny "standing up" sensations, including dizziness, nausea, feeling off and tired and almost blacking out, etc. It could be you just need water or food or to stand up more slowly or something, it could be any number of harmless and otherwise simple things.

If it keeps happening, perhaps it would be wise to consult a dr. Don't worry about it being deadly though, most cases of standing up resolve in getting a little dizzy and recovering soon thereafter.

swgrl09
01-06-14, 23:53
I think somebody in the past few weeks posted about actually being diagnosed with POTS ... I don't remember who though! Do a quick search and maybe you can see what they said.

Serenity1990
02-06-14, 00:02
Firstly, POTS is common, benign and most people with it probably don't know they have it.

Secondly your heart is more than capable of speeds far quicker than that. Before all this crap started I was a bit of a health freak and ran five miles three times a week in the gym. When doing this my BPM was steady at around 170, which is perfectly normal for during exertion.

You'll probably be aware of the affect anxiety has on your BPM. My RHR is about 65, but when I'm really anxious I've noticed it can be double this. Whilst not the best thing in the world this won't kill me.

You may find the below forum useful. It's run by a retired doctor (username RLR) who used to be on here. I'd advise looking at older posts though as RLR used to respond to all posts himself, though unfortunately he was in his nineties and hasn't been heard from for a while

http://palps.chemicalforums.com

marlowe78
02-06-14, 01:56
I've had this throughout my life. When I crouch down and raise myself into a standing position, I feel lightheaded but not dizzy. I just make sure not to panic and it clears up pretty quickly.