PDA

View Full Version : Regular Exercise with Anxiety

Stu82
01-06-14, 20:17
Hi,

Just wondering as since I've been a member on here I've wanted to try help others by if I find something works to mention it and see how others get on with it.
Regular exercise eg. swimming, mountain biking, jogging, running (cardio exercises) I find to really help after I have been regular for a few weeks. This past 3 weeks I have not done as much (less than half) and have now found my anxiety level to have increased along with symptoms but I have done this before and found the same result then as soon as I start going regular I feel much better in myself and my anxiety levels drop right down.

Does anyone else regular exercise?

PamG
01-06-14, 20:29
I am really interested in this post. I have been suffering for just over a year now, and now feel I need to try and do something about my anxiety levels (and fitness levels). I have joined a gym and start with my personal trainer next week. I am hoping to see an improvement as many people have said exercise is a great release. I hope to be able to pop back on here in a few weeks and update.

Stu82
01-06-14, 20:35
Good to hear it Pam. People are right it does make a difference, true that it's good for mind, body and soul :)
It does take a few weeks before you start noticing a difference and can be tough at times but push through and enjoy it :)

Let us know how you get on as I'm sure others will be interested and if can do it will also benefit :)

Ryan92
01-06-14, 22:23
Hey there Stu, I've recently started exercising more (or at least trying lol) and eating healthier and I'm noticing some drops in my anxiety. The tricky part is maintaining it, hope I can.

Like you say, exercise can really help lower our anxiety and improve our mood :D

Jen1989
01-06-14, 22:59
For me exercise definitely helps reduce my anxiety and improve my mood :) I run every second or third day but if I have a lazy weekend my anxiety is definitely a lot worse xXx

Mr.Jitters
01-06-14, 23:21
Ditched the car and started commuting by bike every day during the week - at least halved my anxiety levels. I wake up anxious, burn it off. Have a hard day, burn it off before I get home. Works better than anything else for me.

swgrl09
01-06-14, 23:32
I have been exercising 4-5 times a week since January ... I do think it's helped, honestly. It's improved my self-esteem too. I feel better physically and emotionally. I am concerned that I will have trouble fitting it in though with my new job ... I'll have to figure something out.

Rose0508
02-06-14, 00:19
I have to agree. After taking up body balance I have noticed a significant difference in my anxiety levels. It's the motivation to do it but once you are exercising you feel so good.

Glad to know others feel the same!

I'mdave27
02-06-14, 07:00
I used to go gym but I couldn't tell if it made a difference as working full time mixed with going gym just made me tired all the time lol

Stu82
02-06-14, 07:04
Great feedback on the exercise everyone! Hopefully others will see this and start exercising to help them. Just remember it doesn't start over night and takes a few weeks but worth it :)

---------- Post added at 07:04 ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 ----------

Dave I work full time too but I look forward to going for a swim, getting out on bike or gym. In moderation of course :)

MarcW
03-06-14, 07:04
I would love to exercise as it's the only thing I haven't tried to get rid of this awful thing. My 'problem' is I associate the after effects of exercise (hot, sweaty, tiredness, flustered) with my anxiety symptoms so I avoid it. If I could get my head around that I think it could be good

jefferina
03-06-14, 08:31
Glad I read these posts... Brought myself some gym trainers this week and was going to join gym..... Being around people is hard for me but by the looks of it exercise seems to really help with anxiety so think I should really give it a go plus a bit if weight loss wouldn't go a miss

Autumn
03-06-14, 11:47
I would love to exercise as it's the only thing I haven't tried to get rid of this awful thing. My 'problem' is I associate the after effects of exercise (hot, sweaty, tiredness, flustered) with my anxiety symptoms so I avoid it. If I could get my head around that I think it could be good

--------------

Me too. It sets off my anxiety, but I've started going to the gym anyway. Just go in there and do a couple of minutes on the treadmill and come away again. Just keep building up until you get you gain confidence. I don't want to go to the gym today, but I know I have to go. I do 10 minutes on the exercise bike and 8 minutes on the treadmill. All the time I'm worried about heart rate and anxiety... it's horrible but I try to do it. Give it a try because you will feel better.

Eviedogsmum
03-06-14, 20:00
I used to run 5-6 miles every other day and it worked wonders for my anxiety and panic. However, a couple of years of some pretty awful events (from divorce to job loss, etc) meant I stopped. Now I am back to square one with the panic/anxiety (it's worse than ever, actually), and I know that exercise helps, but at present its all I can do to 'breathe' right walking from one end of the road to another with out my heart rate going up triggering a full blown panic attack.

I'd advise anyone who can to stick with the exercise. I can wholeheartedly agree that it helps enormously!! I just have to figure out how to start up again myself.

StrayWookie
04-06-14, 07:29
I used to run 5-6 miles every other day and it worked wonders for my anxiety and panic. However, a couple of years of some pretty awful events (from divorce to job loss, etc) meant I stopped. Now I am back to square one with the panic/anxiety (it's worse than ever, actually), and I know that exercise helps, but at present its all I can do to 'breathe' right walking from one end of the road to another with out my heart rate going up triggering a full blown panic attack.

I'd advise anyone who can to stick with the exercise. I can wholeheartedly agree that it helps enormously!! I just have to figure out how to start up again myself.
Same boat here. Used to be very active before the panic disorder hit me 17 years ago. Have been at the stage where my anxiety has focused on breathing and heart rate to cause me panic. So having become sedentary it is EXTREMELY difficult for me to do any physical activity without panicking. Even trying to mow the lawn is panic inducing, let alone doing a cardio workout. Add to that the agoraphobia keeping me housebound I cannot just pop out to the gym anytime I want. Though I do have a home gym and ex-bike, trying to do workouts still causes a massive anxiety.

Eviedogsmum
04-06-14, 14:47
Same boat here. Used to be very active before the panic disorder hit me 17 years ago. Have been at the stage where my anxiety has focused on breathing and heart rate to cause me panic. So having become sedentary it is EXTREMELY difficult for me to do any physical activity without panicking. Even trying to mow the lawn is panic inducing, let alone doing a cardio workout. Add to that the agoraphobia keeping me housebound I cannot just pop out to the gym anytime I want. Though I do have a home gym and ex-bike, trying to do workouts still causes a massive anxiety.

HI StrayWookie, I know exactly what you mean. Gotta get over it somehow, as keeping fit is so good for reducing anxiety. Just a case of 'starting small', I suppose. Keep telling myself that (and have been for months!)

Stu82
08-06-14, 19:28
I have the same with the focusing on breathing but you know it's a symptom of the anxiety and exercise is very good to control and massively reduce anxiety which means over time your symptoms become better.

Like you've said, start small and increase the amount you do over time. Try do outdoor fitness and swimming BUT you must give it time to take effect. It is tough to start with but over time you will settle into it and feel the benefits :)

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!