PDA

View Full Version : heartburn

Agadch
02-06-14, 00:34
My mother suffers something terrible with heartburn. As far as I know it started when she quit smoking about 3 years ago and she has been suffering with it ever since. She has it more days than not and is always burping and hiccuping. I just read someone else say in a forum that someone they know died of a heart attack after having hiccuping heartburn and it really frightened me. I am so worried about her. She drinks a lot of wine and she's in her mid fifties. I am so stressed and worried about her and she won't go to the doctor about it. Does anyone else suffer with this? Is it serious? I am so close to googling it and I know I shouldn't but I'm just so worried :unsure:

TheHusband
04-06-14, 16:54
Do not Google it! There are specific technical reasons why this isn't going to give you a balanced picture of the situation.

A person who felt calm about this whole situation might do these things:
1) Remember how often they see TV adverts for heartburn (i.e. it is very common and people put up with it all the time)
2) Confide in one other family member, once, and trust their judgement.
3) Gently talk to your mother about the general issues surrounding consumption of "too much" wine, if necessary

See if you can stick with that. If you get anxious about health problems too often, then please speak to your doctor about dealing with anxiety in general, in order to improve your quality of life.