PDA

View Full Version : Freckle/mole - on a downward spiral :-(

Mogwog
02-06-14, 11:11
Hi

Hope everyone is ok.

My health anxiety is really bad at the moment and I can seem to control it:weep:

I am just getting fixated on things and then when that worry goes away I'm onto the next thing. Just recently my 9 yr old had a haircut and the hairdresser did a grade 2 on the sides and I noticed a reddish dot on the side of his head that I hadn't seen before (doesn't normally have his hair done that short) I think it's a mole but I'm terrified it's something bad. This triggered me into checking my own skin and I have a freckle/mole I am worrying about. It's on my forearm but on the underside, it's very light brown and I've had it a while and don't think it's changed but it looks like a splodge rather than a perfect circle or oval shape. It's all one colour but I've convinced myself it's bad but don't want to get it checked at the drs cos I think they've had enough of me.

I'm on 20mg of Prozac a day which has worked for 3yrs but doesn't seem to be working now.

I am also on a CBT course.

Anyone had the same issue with a mole/frekcle and how do you not worry about it?

Xxxxx

Catherine S
02-06-14, 11:23
Hi Mog, well i'm from Irish stock and covered in freckles and moles so i'm glad not to have this anxiety at least, and I just look over them all from time to time to see if there are any obvious changes. But from what you describe it doesn't sound like anything sinister to be honest, I think everybody has at least one or two freckles somewhere on their body...and freckles come in different sizes and shades and are usually flat, its moles that are normally raised, but if you don't want to face the doctor just keep an eye on it and if it changes or itches badly then obviously do go to see him.

IBS x

bingjam
02-06-14, 11:55
Moles and freckles come in soooo many shapes and sizes and different colours etc.

I went through a horrible stage of moles and melonoma.

Ive got a mole on my breast that looks like its been drawn there by a 2 year old and coloured in by one too..

It hasnt changed its always been the same, its grown a tad when I was a teenager but thats cause my breasts obviously grew and things.

Just keep an eye on it, you would know if there was something wrong my aunt is a nurse and showed me some pictures and they were horrific.

Just keep an eye out for any dramastic changes,
From what you have described I dont think there is too much to worry about in all fairness

Humly
02-06-14, 17:25
I know what you are saying about getting fixated on something. I'm sure that if I started looking I would find a mole to worry about too. If you can bear to, just keep an eye on it and if it changes then get it checked out x

skippy66
02-06-14, 17:33
I had an itchy mole on my back which was also uneven. It itched for 3 weeks. Then, it stopped itching and hasn't itched again for 4 years.

Wish I hadn't spent those 3 weeks unhappy because I was convinced I had cancer...

luc
02-06-14, 19:30
I remember spoiling my university reunion in Sardinia because I found a mole/freckle en route to the hotel. That was 7 years ago and it's still there along with the other hundred. Yours sounds like nothing to worry about but then moles are no longer really on my radar so it's easy for me to say.

bulan
03-06-14, 04:26
Hi Mog,

I feel your pain, as I'm dealing with a skin cancer fear right now too. Except, in my case, the spot is new.

I'm handling my anxiety about spots that have always been around, but one that appears out of the blue scares the living daylights out of me. It's brown, slightly raised, looks symmetrical, and about 5mm... Normal by all standards I guess, except the fact that it's new.

So I'm scared too, and empathizing with you tonight.

helenhoo
03-04-16, 17:27
Anyone still about on this post? My latest fear is melanoma. I hate it. Moment I decided to seek help some new worry comes along.

I have quite a few freckles (flat) on arms weird shapes and circle and ovals. One on side boob is like a spledge of loght brown with two dark pin pricks. It's symmetricls though but I'm convinced it's Mm. And a dark one on thigh. Ive just rowed with my chap about this, he's sick of my checking as am I.