PDA

View Full Version : Safety Zones

Petesy
02-06-14, 14:29
Hi Everyone

I've noticed a few places where I feel more at ease for eg. My parents ( my mother has beaten her anxiety of 30yrs), Doctors office (not the waiting room lol) my friends house because I have ppl who can relate, A&E (because i'm in the right place if anything was to go wrong) and this might seem strange but it's true I don't feel safe in my own home myself

Here's the thing has anyone ever been really anxious then when you enter the vicinity of one of those safety Zones you feel your anxiety slowly subside?

It happens to me. I just need to make this safety zone the planet and I would take that rather than the winning lottery ticket Honestly!

Thought I'd put this out there, i can't be the only one.

Petesy :winks:

MRS STRESS ED
02-06-14, 15:11
Petsey these places are comfortable for you because they are places where you either know people or people can help im the same Im safe at my mums at home lol not sure about the doctors thou xx:huh:

Annie0904
02-06-14, 15:25
I am the same but I call them my 'comfort zones' However I know I have to work hard to get out of those 'comfort zones' so I set goals to add another place to my list. I really wish airports and aeroplanes were comfort zones for me :scared15: Going on holiday next week. Just Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

flossie
02-06-14, 16:16
One of the most helpful things anyone has told me was from one of the CBT group leaders at No Panic. Thank you Patricia for this - 'My safe place is within me. Wherever I go I take it with me.'
Simple words that gave me faith to trust myself.

Daisy Sue
03-06-14, 00:59
Yes, definitely. Although I know these days that many CBT counsellors advise against using safety zones or safety techniques - however they are what got me through my worst times, and I still use them if needed.

Over the years I've had a few health crises where I've had to go in an ambulance to A&E, and of course major panic has made me feel worse on top of being ill... as soon as the ambulance journey starts, I begin to calm down, and when I reach hospital, the panic goes completely.

Certain people make me feel safe too, if I'm with my family, I know they're all ok, and that stops me worrying about them (which is one of my daily issues). Think I'm just a mother hen. lol.

Firehead
10-06-14, 10:40
Absolutely! For me it is places like libraries, churches (though I'm not religious), museums, etc.
These are all places that are calm and quiet.

aprilmoon
10-06-14, 10:55
I think its because you feel supported and safe with those people.
Its trying to create that feeling within yourself,I suppose.

Tanner40
10-06-14, 12:19
Great topic. It's all in how we think. If we think that someplace or someone is a safety zone, then we tend to feel calmer. Think about what types of things that you're telling yourself when you are in those safety zones. Now, we just have to begin to practice telling ourselves the same things about other places. CBT is quite good for helping to conquer this problem.

LyingScotsman
01-07-14, 20:12
I usally feel very calm when I am in the forest.

There is something about the nature that always makes me feel safe and calm and at peace.

Sunflower2
01-07-14, 21:32
My goal is to create a safe zone sort of around myself, so where ever I go, I feel comfortable. I've got everything I need and all I need to do is be where I am. Trying to do this by having something comforting and familiar on me at all times, so even if I'm far from home, it's still something that's safe. If that makes any sense at all or I'm just speaking complete rubbish!

Petesy
03-07-14, 23:58
Hi kimberley

You're not talking rubbish for if it wasn't around you we would more or less be walking on broken glass so to speak

Since this thread was posted i've expanded my comfort zones which is great but I need to be that comfort without the zone.

:hugs::hugs:

I understand everybody better now and I wish you all the best.

Thanks

Petesy.

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:54 ----------

It's great that you said that lying scotsmam I myself was in the forest next to loch earne collecting fire wood and looked at the beauty around me which made me feel like I was at peace with everything...

Loved that fishing trip and camping

Petesy.

GingerFish
05-07-14, 13:03
My biggest comfort zone is my own flat though I do feel at ease at my grandparents and mum's houses. If I am out and about, my comfort zone is a quiet little alley in the middle of the street. I always look out for them and tell myself if I feel panicky, I can go there for a second to calm down so no one will see me, but then I end up walking by it because I've ended up not panicking.