PDA

View Full Version : Unstable Blood Pressure

TofuMama
02-06-14, 17:16
I was wondering if anyone struggles with blood pressure at times.

I've been experiencing something I'm not quite sure is part of anxiety. Often, when I'm in a resting position, or I'm quite warm, and then I go to stand up, I feel extremely uncomfortable, a little breathless. I then go to sit and I feel an immense wave of pressure from my chest. My heart rate slows down a lot as it thumps hard, each beat quite forceful. And then over about a minute it equalizes to a faster, slightly thumping rate.

It only happens once or twice. I go to stand once and it'll be difficult to control. I stand again and I have a bit more control. And on the third time, it'll be absolutely fine.

skippy66
02-06-14, 17:31
It's highly likely that you're focused on this too much, and this is exacerbating your symptoms.

I used to take my blood pressure up to 25 times per day when I had health anxiety. It became an obsession. It can fluctuate depending on what you're doing.

TofuMama
02-06-14, 17:33
You're probably right.

I'll be laying there, feeling my heart rate going a bit fast and think "oh God I have to get up.. this is going to be a nightmare." and then I'll sit up a bit straighter (having near laid down for about 2 hours) and feel my heart rate increase, try and slouch a bit to feel better. Then I'll stand up and feel giddy, light headed, unwell and be immediately afraid. So I sit down. And as I sit down, I feel that immense pressure as my heart thuds slowly.

Pretty standard behaviour I guess.

skippy66
02-06-14, 17:34
Lay off the tofu...

TofuMama
02-06-14, 17:47
No. :)