PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack while sleeping

shannabanna
03-06-14, 06:46
Last night I dreamt I was having a panic attack only to awake having a full blown attack. I am starting a new job soon so maybe I'm subconsciously worried already:ohmy: has anyone else dreamt a panic attack?

lauraebowes
03-06-14, 17:06
ive not dreamt of one but woke up suddenly having one its happened a few times went through a stage of not wanting to go to sleep!

shannabanna
03-06-14, 17:43
Poor you, I always find I get more anxious at night, I suppose there is more time to think about things and become worried.

Antianxiety
03-06-14, 20:28
I had woken up with panic attacks for the last 6 months during sleep at different times. One time I was having them every hour during the night My GP had me do 30 days of Xanax 0.5 last month and is what broke the cycle. I had an episode last night but subsided quickly. I had all kinds of testing done and everything came back to anxiety and PAs. The attacks included palps, rapid breathing, burning in neck and shoulders, dry mouth, knot in throat, and intense dizziness (enough to almost fall over getting out of bed). Been on Celexa 20mg the last month and have not used Klonapin, Xanax, or Valium unless absolutely needed. Doing much better now - meditation and daily walking or running have helped. It will get better and night attacks are more common than people may think.

shannabanna
03-06-14, 21:08
Wow, that must have been tough for you :-( honestly didn't think I would be woken by an attack, I thought I had got a handle on my anxiety, but obviously it's coming back to haunt my dreams. I'm glad things are improving for you!

Antianxiety
03-06-14, 22:17
Yes, I was improving until some time in December when it hit me out of the blue. I literally thought I was having a heart attack or mini stroke. I too noticed it was doing a rough time and things piled up and I finally exploded. I feel it trying to sneak back but I just keep up with what I need to do. The good thing is I know its panic and will subside. I am sure this will be temporary and things will improve for you as well.

shannabanna
04-06-14, 12:15
Thank you, I'm hoping so. For me I fear the unknown, I expect I will have many sleepless nights until I start my job. Like you said it is just panic and will subside.

GingerFish
05-06-14, 12:38
I've woken up a lot of times due to panic attacks and they are extra scary at night when they suddenly wake you up because you have the intense fears plus the spacey weird feeling after being woken up so suddenly. It can take me a while to get back to sleep after waking up from a panic. I've usually got to walk about my flat, eat something and play on my phone for a while to finally calm back down and get rid of that spacey feeling.

Antianxiety
05-06-14, 23:57
GingerFish, that is exactly what I end up doing, walking around and doing something until it subsides. Spacey feeling is exactly what it feels like, as though something is off or something intense is about to happen. Light becomes so sensitive you can see in the dark and your hearing is so intense you can hear a pin drop.