PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Nerves

lou92
03-06-14, 12:20
Hi Everyone

On Saturday I am going abroad for 3 nights with 3 friends. I was absolutely fine when we booked the trip, however memories of my first experience with anxiety attacks last year on a girls holiday have now come rushing back as the holiday is so close.

I don't know if it is panic attacks I suffer with or just extreme anxiety periods. I don't struggle to breath really or get a tight chest, but every muscle in my body tenses up so bad, my mouth is bone dry, I shake, cry, extreme nausea to the point where I try and make my self throw up, cannot even imagine eating, cannot sleep! basically I freak out, feel like I am completely losing my mind and want to scream - it lasts hours when it really gets me and only ever happens at night.

MY doctor has given me 5mg diazepam to get me through the weekend but I am having a hard time believing that anything could reduce/prevent the symptoms I get.

I was just wondering if anyone has been through a simliar experience, I am really doubting whether or not I can go. I have had one attack about the holiday that has put the fear in me, I think it is the worry about it happening that will cause it to occur rather than just being there without my boyfriend (I feel so comfortable around him he can calm me down instantly).

Sorry this is a long (and my first) post.

Thanks xx :)

Mr.Jitters
03-06-14, 12:31
Hey,

I think lots of people here can relate to this. I have panic disorder but during tense periods, go through something similar to what you describe. In my head, at least, it feels like some days are just one long panic attack.

You have something great to look forward to, a break and relaxation. And diazepam is a tremendous help, especially when anxious at night. As long as they're used properly, they're a fantastic tool. Do you have any complementary strategies for dealing with any anxiety you may experience? Medication is effective, but not the most effective way of managing anxiety/panic. There's a CBT resource in a sticky on the forum which is free for members of NMP to log in to and access online which was tremendously helpful to me.

To give you a little reassurance, I was agoraphobic for around 2 years because of anxiety and panic attacks. Even now I've had a few years of functioning quite normally, it's really unnerving to leave my comfort zones, but I can do it. So you can go on holiday, for sure! Might be just what the doctor ordered. And in a crisis, diazepam and self help will get you through it!

Good luck! Let us know how you get on :)

lou92
03-06-14, 13:27
There are a lot of differences between this trip and my last, I know what it is this time - we thought I had food poisoning or sunstroke last time!!
I am going with two friends who actually have experienced panic which may help as well as the fact I have spoken about it, they know how i am feeling and I have diazepam.

I know 'll be absolutely fine during the day, its in the evening when it starts to get dark I know I'll can some of the symptoms starting which will make me freak out and cause it an attack to happen.

I am taking a lot of things to distract me, dvd for the room and a phone I can use to text/call home (my own didn't work last year and I couldn't contact home apart from through facebook)

Should I take the diazepam in regular intervals before I feel anything and hopefully stop the symptoms appearing? I have never taken diazepam before.

It is the feeling of being trapped I am scared of and well everyone on here I'm sure knows how petrifying and horrendous attacks!!

Also thanks for pointing out the CBT stuff looks good and I have had CBT before and I know it works. My doctor has referred me for some one to one sessions and self help pack for long term help.

Mr.Jitters
03-06-14, 13:46
Sounds like you have all the tools in place to give yourself the best chance of coping, that's fantastic. Having understanding friends is an amazing advantage, too. Don't forget to have a little bit of fun! :)

As for the diazepam, it depends what your doctor has recommended. Mine says take one as required, as long as I don't get a refill more than every six months they don't care, yours may be different. I find it useful to take one before an anxiety inducing situation, for you this may be in the evenings, as this works quite well at stopping any panic and lessening the background anxiety. If I'm having a particularly rough couple of days, 2.5mg in the morning and 5mg at night gets me through - but I only do this for 3 days before taking a long break. Your mileage may vary, but sensible use is a good place to start for getting through something you're worried about.

Annie0904
03-06-14, 14:09
I am going on holiday on Saturday and all the what ifs are starting to set in. I won't let it beat me though. Just feel the fear and do it :) I have had terrible panics on the plane before but I still got there and enjoyed the holiday after the first couple of days. It is getting a little easier every time.

lou92
03-06-14, 14:15
Thanks MrJitters! Anxiety level isn't too bad just now but I think as the week goes on it will rise so will try maybe taking half if nearer the time and see how I feel :)

Annie0904 We can do it!! I just have to face it. I know if I don't go, If I ever try to go away with friends again - It will be 10 x harder!

THanks for the replies guys feeling slightly better for sure - It is crazy how much better I feel just talking it out when I'm feeling nervous. I have always tried to fight feeling nervous and ignore it, but that only ever leads to it getting worse.

Annie0904
03-06-14, 14:17
Yes Lou we can do it :) Have a lovely time, I'm sure you will x

alic
03-06-14, 18:09
Hi Lou,
I had exactly the same experience a few years ago - went with 3 friends for long weekend to Barcelona - was fine until dinner on the first night and it suddenly hit me - nausea, feelings of panic, couldn't face eating - I just wanted to go home. Phoned hubby all the time for him to reassure me... eventually told my friends how i was feeling and this really helped... the feelings passed after the first 24hrs and I enjoyed the rest of the trip. Recently I have tended to feel like this whenever I go away, think it must be leaving my comfort zone. I know it only lasts for the first day or so and then I enjoy myself. I hope you enjoy your break... remember those feelings wont last forever,

shopmad
07-08-14, 15:41
i was on my way to the airport in june and i knew i couldnt get on the plane. burst into tears at the airport! its not flying i cant travel in this country if i have to stay overnight sonewhere. im seeing dr on tues. im on prozac now and it helps my breathing. i just hope valium will work

koala
07-08-14, 16:49
Hi,

I know exactly how you feel as i have exactly the same symptoms and like you they are triggered by it getting dark. First of all well done for booking the holiday. I've not been on holiday for 4 years now because my anxiety is that bad and it all started with me pulling out of a weekend away a few years back (which i regret now). I know it seems like forever when your anxious but 3 days isn't really that long and in the long term it's better for you to go and face your fear than to run away from it (easier said than done i know). It sounds like you are going with some great, supportive people which is good to hear and it is also good to hear that you already have some coping tools in place. My advice would be to distract yourself as much as possible at night. Things i do to help distract me include listening to music, reading, doing puzzles and playing that game where you go through the alphabet and have to list something (eg an animal) that begins with every letter of the alphabet.

Good luck and enjoy your holiday. :)