PDA

View Full Version : Hello, health anxiety...

JamieC1234
03-06-14, 21:48
Hello,
I joined the forum to hopefully get some support and reassurance in the forums. I am 18 and suffer from health anxiety. It has been going on for about 2 years - mainly the 'C' word. Now, it's moved on to things like brain tumors, MS and Diabetes. I can't stop googling my symptoms which I obviously need to stop! I hope this forum will help towards getting me on the right path as I am receiving therapy too.

Jamie :)

Deepthinker
03-06-14, 22:07
:welcome:I know this is easier said than done, but try not to keep torturing yourself by googling symptoms. :-) I have done this many times and finally had to quit as part of my recovery. The meds also keep me from obsessing about it. At 18 you are probably a fairly healthy individual. Most 18 year olds don't get cancer, but if we get on Google or watch TV we start to feel as though everyone has cancer or is on the brink of getting it. We hear about the thousands of people on the planet who have cancer, but we don't hear from the billions of people on the planet who are healthy. I am just trying to give you a few different perspectives from which to view it all. I have been right where you are before and it can be so scary thinking about what might be wrong with us.
I have learned, though, that, if something really is wrong with me, worrying will not make it better. In fact, it will probably make it worse. I am now 44 years old and nothing I have ever worried about has come to pass. Anyway, try to relax, see your doc if you need peace of mind and get checked out really well. At 18, you are probably due for a good physical, after all. Hope this helps and by the way, this message is for me, too, because I am a recovering worrier! :-)

MRS STRESS ED
03-06-14, 22:17
Hello Jamie well you have come to the right place you will find lots of help and support from like minded people ,just one thing stop googling all its going to do is feed your anxiety love xx

forevernervous
04-06-14, 23:37
Hi Jamie.. I've had anxiety for 13 yrs now and it was always manageable but since my grandma died 3 mos ago its gotten really bad... I do the same things you do... Google all my symptoms... drive my husband and mother nuts telling them my symptoms could be some terrible disease.. I been through all the test to rule out anything major. As many times as doctors have told me its anxiety Its hard to believe that a mental disorder can cause physical symptoms. Trust me all of us on here know what your going through.. And its no fun... hopefully seeing your therapist will help.. I just started seeing one 3 wks ago. But you really need to stop Googling things... I realized all it does is scare you.. or you will read a symptom you don't have and then bam later that day you have that symptom to. I wish you luck.. if you ever need to talk just message me .