PDA

View Full Version : Breathlessness

jo-jo
05-08-04, 20:43
Hiya folks

Sorry its me again with anxiety symptom no. one million and eleven.... [:I]

Although I haven't had a panic attack in absolutely ages [Yeah!] I've been getting a bit worried the last couple of days regarding my heart. I'm an asthmatic and just lately I've been feeling a bit breathless so I went to my GP thinking my asthma was a bit bad. He got me to do a peak flow test and said that it was absolutely fine and that maybe my anxiety and breathlessness were linked and asked me what I did to try and relax. This could be true because when I was in hospital in Janaury for asthma I was also given diazepam as the consultant thought my anxiety was exacerbating my breathing problems (I also had an ECG and chest x-ray at the time and no one said anything about my heart then). I also saw the nurse for an asthma check yesterday and she also said my breating was fine but I'm still feeling breathless from time to time. Now I'm worried I'm having heart failure having heard that breathlessness is a symptom! It comes and goes and isn't necessarily any worse with exercise (and I was totally free of it when I was on my hols). I do have two dogs which might irritate my lungs but then I've always had dogs.

Has anyone else experienced the breathless symptoms?? Would be very grateful to hear if you have. Sorry for rambling on but I've got this idea stuck in my head now and am becoming rather paranoid!

Lots of love Jo xxx

Rennie1989
05-08-04, 20:58
hiya jo

im breathless now!

your worring too much about sumthin wich is not wrong wid u, try not to worry 2much, wen i went to hospital botu my back i thought ill needa brace and i thought my breathless symptoms was to do wid the fact that my rib cage had shrunk, it wasnt and i was fine,

wat makes u relaxed, try and grow from that and u may be anxiety free

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears

Meg
05-08-04, 21:02
When anxious your lungs actually expand in volume - for flight and fight response - so you need more air to fill them.
It can feel like you're breathless but in reality you're not .

When you relax it goes.

For cardiac failure breathlessness is just one symptom of several .
Let me know when your feet and ankles are swollen over your shoes and you're struggling to walk a mile.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

jo-jo
05-08-04, 21:05
Hiya Scoot and Meg

Thanks so much for your replies and so quickly too - you are stars :D

You are both right, when I'm thinking about something else it doesn't bother me and Meg, my feet are most definately not swollen and I can walk for miles and miles!

Love and best wishes, Jo xxxxxx

Rennie1989
05-08-04, 21:32
pleased i can help jo, :D

im fine, ish, u

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears

jo-jo
06-08-04, 12:03
Hi Scoot

How are you enjoying the summer hols? Hope you've had better weather down South than we have but at last today the sun is shining :D. Love to hear what you're up to honey.

Lots of love Jo xxx

twister
06-08-04, 12:35
My main symptom is breathlessness, I feel like I am not breathing properly and everytime seem to convince myself that this time its a real problem and not anxiety. I have DVT and my lungs are becoming blocked etc etc.

Then my boyfriend says to me 'but you felt the same last week' and then I realise that I did and there is nothing wrong! It still doesn't go away for a couple of hours though.

It happens when I am not panicky, just when maybe I have had a busy day.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

sarah
06-08-04, 13:32
Hiya Guys

Also the heat and humidity doesnt help, makes you even more brethless than usual.

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

jo-jo
08-08-04, 20:40
Hi everyone

Thanks again for your help :D

Sarah, I think you are right about the humidity thing, its not pleasant.

Twister - like you my breathlessness isn't connected to full on panic but does seem to come on when I've got a lot going on too.

Lots of love Jo xx

Rennie1989
08-08-04, 20:42
sorry jo, yeah its been brill, goin away to majorca soon, YAY

sorry i didnt reply, iv found a scoliosis (curved spine)forum and its really interestin and iv met loadz of peeps wid the same condition as me

dont worry i will still be ere :)

Scooter Girl