PDA

View Full Version : Scared of sepsis

AngryRobot
05-06-14, 02:06
So, I don't have insurance and I did not feel like going to the doctor to pay for something so simple.
I had an ingrown toenail and I completely removed it (The ingrown part) myself getting complete relief.

I cleaned my tools (Scissors, tweezers, exacto knife) by boiling them in water for 10 minutes and cleaning them with rubbing alcohol while making sure to clean the area around my toe too. Took about 5 minutes but I got it out. (I didn't cut myself open)

Now it's been 2 days later my toe is still red, it seems less red but it's still red.

There's no pain at all, there's no throbbing, it's not hot to the touch (it's actually cold like all my other toes), have no fever (98-98.8f), there's no red streaks, and it's scabbed up in this dark red/black scab. I also have been obsessing over sepsis so I've been checking my heart rate and blood pressure too...which is always around 72-78bpm and BP is 118-122 / 75-83.

The only troubling thing I've noticed is that today it has started to drain a light amount of pus which I've been cleaning off carefully with alcohol soaked gauze.

Is this normal?
(I have been cleaning it everyday with alcohol and a light amount of extra virgin coconut oil (I cannot use Neosporin it causes me to break out in hives))

I'm extremely afraid of sepsis so any comforting words would be much appreciated.

Agadch
05-06-14, 02:21
Hello AngryRobot, my sister had ingrown toenails on both her big toes (at different times) and both times there was pus. I don't even think she cleaned it much. All she did was have a bandage wrapped around her toe and she was fine so I wouldn't worry too much:)

Fishmanpa
05-06-14, 02:57
Reading your post, I think you just comforted yourself :)

Positive thoughts

AngryRobot
05-06-14, 03:22
Agadch

Fishmanpa
Sort of. Its just the mind likes to wander around sometimes and the simplest things my body does kinda sets me off. On a side note I've been a lurker here for awhile and I see you around on a lot of the threads I search up and I just wanted to say you're awesome. ^^

UKmamainUS
05-06-14, 03:27
You could use hydrogen peroxide to keep it clean too, but it doesn't sound like you have sepsis. My guess is the pus is draining away any bad stuff, so if it's draining and you are keeping it clean then everything will be fine.